What was the mysterious ‘explosion’ in Dereham?
- Credit: Ian Burt
Dereham residents have been left puzzled by a loud noise which has been described as being similar to an explosion.
The sound was heard at around 9.30pm on Monday and people have claimed it was powerful enough to shake their homes.
'We heard a really load bang which sounded like an explosion and the whole flat shook,' said Shannon Kingston-miles, who lives on Boundary Close.
'The lamp shade was swinging from it, it was the kind of bang that you felt in your tummy. It made us jump and our cats hid as they were terrified. We live in flats and we are up high and it just made the whole place sway and shake.'
Mark Hodgson, who lives on Gordon Road, said: 'It sounded like some sort of explosion above houses towards crown road or further away.'
You may also want to watch:
A spokesperson for Norfolk Police said they received a call at around 9.30pm about a 'loud bang but no fire, no smoke and no other loud noises.'
They said that officers believed the cause was likely to be linked to an object that was thrown on a controlled fire.
Did you hear the loud bang? Email email@example.com
- 1 Developer says dozens show interest in new homes despite council concerns
- 2 Pub start weekly lockdown Bake Off challenge
- 3 Lockdown sees move from community to 'neighbourly' crime in Dereham
- 4 Two arrested over robbery incidents at post office and shop
- 5 'My heart was racing' - Horse rider's shocking encounter with speeding van
- 6 'I'm waiting to be set free': Almost 15,000 on surgery list for a year
- 7 Museum hopes to celebrate town's historic couple with summer reopening
- 8 Lake and barns for sale as separate auction lots despite same address
- 9 Norfolk MP denies breaking ministerial code by working for PPE firm
- 10 Council agrees to fell "high risk tree" - despite protection order