What was the mysterious ‘explosion’ in Dereham?
- Credit: Ian Burt
Dereham residents have been left puzzled by a loud noise which has been described as being similar to an explosion.
The sound was heard at around 9.30pm on Monday and people have claimed it was powerful enough to shake their homes.
'We heard a really load bang which sounded like an explosion and the whole flat shook,' said Shannon Kingston-miles, who lives on Boundary Close.
'The lamp shade was swinging from it, it was the kind of bang that you felt in your tummy. It made us jump and our cats hid as they were terrified. We live in flats and we are up high and it just made the whole place sway and shake.'
Mark Hodgson, who lives on Gordon Road, said: 'It sounded like some sort of explosion above houses towards crown road or further away.'
You may also want to watch:
A spokesperson for Norfolk Police said they received a call at around 9.30pm about a 'loud bang but no fire, no smoke and no other loud noises.'
They said that officers believed the cause was likely to be linked to an object that was thrown on a controlled fire.
Did you hear the loud bang? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1 Farmers hope to open egg shop in football club car park
- 2 'Cold and desolate' - Anne Robinson's Countdown jibe at Norfolk
- 3 Watch: 91-year-old woman's stirring poem 'Wake Up Britain'
- 4 Fire door company hiring more staff despite pandemic
- 5 Covid testing bus arrives at Dereham supermarket
- 6 Police chief warns of 'inevitable' rise in certain crimes after pandemic
- 7 Public hearing for long-delayed A47 dualling plans
- 8 Where you are most likely to get your bike stolen in Norfolk
- 9 Barman suffered fractured eye socket after being punched on night out
- 10 Work starts on new park in heart of town