What was the mysterious ‘explosion’ in Dereham?
- Credit: Ian Burt
Dereham residents have been left puzzled by a loud noise which has been described as being similar to an explosion.
The sound was heard at around 9.30pm on Monday and people have claimed it was powerful enough to shake their homes.
'We heard a really load bang which sounded like an explosion and the whole flat shook,' said Shannon Kingston-miles, who lives on Boundary Close.
'The lamp shade was swinging from it, it was the kind of bang that you felt in your tummy. It made us jump and our cats hid as they were terrified. We live in flats and we are up high and it just made the whole place sway and shake.'
Mark Hodgson, who lives on Gordon Road, said: 'It sounded like some sort of explosion above houses towards crown road or further away.'
You may also want to watch:
A spokesperson for Norfolk Police said they received a call at around 9.30pm about a 'loud bang but no fire, no smoke and no other loud noises.'
They said that officers believed the cause was likely to be linked to an object that was thrown on a controlled fire.
Did you hear the loud bang? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1 Are you in our Norfolk school photos from the 1970s?
- 2 Norfolk's first mass Covid vaccination centre to open in food court
- 3 Government must step in to help 'desperate' Norwich hospital, says MP
- 4 Drivers face non-essential travel fines after spate of snow crashes
- 5 Record Covid highs for three areas of Norfolk
- 6 'I will not resign,' says councillor who broke Covid isolation
- 7 Londoners fined for travelling to stay at second home in Norfolk
- 8 The areas of Norfolk where Covid cases are now falling
- 9 Dereham, Blofield and Belton are the latest coronavirus infection hotspots
- 10 Seven lockdown rules that could change