New plans for aerodrome
Plans for a new aerodrome next to an airfield would be “a recipe for an accident”, councillors will be told.Shipdham Aero Club wants to change the use of farmland next to Shipdham Aerodrome for a grass runway and a hangar and storage building.
Plans for a new aerodrome next to an airfield would be “a recipe for an accident”, councillors will be told.
Shipdham Aero Club wants to change the use of farmland next to Shipdham Aerodrome for a grass runway and a hangar and storage building.
But Breckland Council's development control committee will be advised to refused permission after an independent aviation consultant raised serious concerns about safety and noise.
A report to the meeting by planning officers said: “The aviation consultant considered that it was unusual and completely unsatisfactory for two adjoining airfields to be operated under separate management and control and was a recipe for an accident if ever there was one.
“He concludes with a strong recommendation that the council should not allow this development. It is dangerous, unworkable and unacceptable.”
Councillors will be told that, although a legal dispute between the airfield owner and the applicant has been resolved, “no evidence has been submitted with the application that the applicant is working in close co-operation and agreement with the existing users of the airfield”.
- 1 Man dies after collapsing during dog walk in Norfolk village
- 2 Young people transform care home's garden in just four days
- 3 Final details revealed ahead of Queen's Dragoon Guards freedom parade
- 4 Road closures to be put in place for Queen's Dragoon Guards parade
- 5 Long-delayed wedding finally takes place... in 1941
- 6 A47 reopens after serious crash near Swaffham
- 7 Commonwealth record holder puts medal haul on display
- 8 Superb ton from Brendan Scott seals back-to-back wins for Bradenham
- 9 Travelling to the Royal Norfolk Show? Here’s everything you need to know
- 10 'Proper farming' sees dairy family crowned Norfolk farm champions
There are also concerns from planning officers about new buildings in the open countryside.
Shipdham Parish Council has objected and raised several concerns, including the new hangar impeding take-off on the runway, noise and safety worries, poor access and impact on a footpath.
There have been 17 letters of objection, mainly from the users of the airfield but also residents of Westfield. They are worried about aircraft safety, extra noise, more traffic and lack of support from the runway.
Breckland's development control committee will discuss the plan on Monday, March 17, 9.30am at Breckland's Dereham HQ.