New plans for aerodrome
Plans for a new aerodrome next to an airfield would be “a recipe for an accident”, councillors will be told.Shipdham Aero Club wants to change the use of farmland next to Shipdham Aerodrome for a grass runway and a hangar and storage building.
Plans for a new aerodrome next to an airfield would be “a recipe for an accident”, councillors will be told.
Shipdham Aero Club wants to change the use of farmland next to Shipdham Aerodrome for a grass runway and a hangar and storage building.
But Breckland Council's development control committee will be advised to refused permission after an independent aviation consultant raised serious concerns about safety and noise.
A report to the meeting by planning officers said: “The aviation consultant considered that it was unusual and completely unsatisfactory for two adjoining airfields to be operated under separate management and control and was a recipe for an accident if ever there was one.
“He concludes with a strong recommendation that the council should not allow this development. It is dangerous, unworkable and unacceptable.”
Councillors will be told that, although a legal dispute between the airfield owner and the applicant has been resolved, “no evidence has been submitted with the application that the applicant is working in close co-operation and agreement with the existing users of the airfield”.
- 1 Father accused of baby daughter's murder gave her squash, court told
- 2 'Somebody has to foot the bill' - Inflation forces greengrocer to up prices
- 3 Norfolk man amongst UK's 12 most wanted
- 4 Revamp of beloved garden planned as part of Queen's Jubilee celebrations
- 5 Prince's Trust on the hunt for recruits to join new Dereham team
- 6 Murder trial jury told mother said she could not have children
- 7 Travelodge looking at nine sites for new hotels across Norfolk
- 8 Waffle and milkshake delivery business opens in Dereham
- 9 Railway launches appeal to restore signal box
- 10 How are England's Covid restrictions changing after Plan B?
There are also concerns from planning officers about new buildings in the open countryside.
Shipdham Parish Council has objected and raised several concerns, including the new hangar impeding take-off on the runway, noise and safety worries, poor access and impact on a footpath.
There have been 17 letters of objection, mainly from the users of the airfield but also residents of Westfield. They are worried about aircraft safety, extra noise, more traffic and lack of support from the runway.
Breckland's development control committee will discuss the plan on Monday, March 17, 9.30am at Breckland's Dereham HQ.