Norfolk am-dram group in real life drama
Richard ParrA mid-Norfolk amateur dramatic society faced a real-life drama tonight when it was forced to cancel the first night of its comedy play.Dereham Operatic Society was to have staged the cult spoof drama, The Farndale Avenue Housing Estate Townswomen's Guild Dramatic Society Murder Mystery, but one of the cast members was taken ill and it was too short notice to find a replacement for the part.Richard Parr
A mid-Norfolk amateur dramatic society faced a real-life drama when it was forced to cancel the first night of its comedy play.
Dereham Operatic Society was to have staged the cult spoof drama, The Farndale Avenue Housing Estate Townswomen's Guild Dramatic Society Murder Mystery on Thursday, but one of the cast members was taken ill and it was too short notice to find a replacement for the part.
Because of the nature of the play, described as 'Acorn Antiques meets Agatha Christie', it would have been almost impossible to find someone to take on the part of the indisposed cast member so the Society regretfully decided to cancel the performance.
Society members were at the town's Memorial Hall on Thursday night to tell the 120 people who had bought tickets that the show was off and to advise them that they could change their tickets for another date or have a refund.
You may also want to watch:
An evening of hilarity was in prospect for the audience because everything that the Guild's members touch goes disastrously wrong.
The society apologised to patrons for any inconvenience caused and hopes that they can still see another performance.
- 1 Major rush hour delays expected as crash involving lorry closes part of A47
- 2 Pedestrian dies after being hit by lorry on A47
- 3 Man charged with arson after blaze ripped through flat and gardens
- 4 Early hours blaze tears through flat and gardens
- 5 Rescue centre saw demand for dogs jump 400pc during lockdown
- 6 Fears raised over Western Link surveying work
- 7 Farm enjoying another bumper year for pumpkin picking
- 8 Thousands of pounds given to surgery in Lorraine's memory
- 9 Norfolk hit by flooding as storms reach the county
- 10 Man in 80s from Norfolk found not guilty of historic sexual offences
It is hoped that the play will go ahead tonight and tomorrow at 7.30pm. Tickets are available from Just Kitchenware at 8 High Street, Dereham or by telephone on 01362 699899.