Norfolk am-dram group in real life drama
Richard ParrA mid-Norfolk amateur dramatic society faced a real-life drama tonight when it was forced to cancel the first night of its comedy play.Dereham Operatic Society was to have staged the cult spoof drama, The Farndale Avenue Housing Estate Townswomen's Guild Dramatic Society Murder Mystery, but one of the cast members was taken ill and it was too short notice to find a replacement for the part.Richard Parr
A mid-Norfolk amateur dramatic society faced a real-life drama when it was forced to cancel the first night of its comedy play.
Dereham Operatic Society was to have staged the cult spoof drama, The Farndale Avenue Housing Estate Townswomen's Guild Dramatic Society Murder Mystery on Thursday, but one of the cast members was taken ill and it was too short notice to find a replacement for the part.
Because of the nature of the play, described as 'Acorn Antiques meets Agatha Christie', it would have been almost impossible to find someone to take on the part of the indisposed cast member so the Society regretfully decided to cancel the performance.
Society members were at the town's Memorial Hall on Thursday night to tell the 120 people who had bought tickets that the show was off and to advise them that they could change their tickets for another date or have a refund.
An evening of hilarity was in prospect for the audience because everything that the Guild's members touch goes disastrously wrong.
The society apologised to patrons for any inconvenience caused and hopes that they can still see another performance.
- 1 Neighbours' tribute to crash victim who 'thought the world of her dogs'
- 2 Locked-up play area to be refurbished after public outcry
- 3 Crowds turn out to celebrate first ever Dereham Day
- 4 'It's scary' - foodbank volunteers lift lid on cost of living crisis
- 5 Drug dealing mother-of-five had ‘cocaine stuffed in bra’
- 6 Dereham school recognised for commitment to equality and diversity
- 7 Norfolk woman dies after being stung by wasp in Spain
- 8 Century-old farm machinery firm invests £6m in its factory's future
- 9 Crash on A47 causes delays and bus disruption
- 10 Extra speed check camera vans to target Norfolk's 'village speeders'
It is hoped that the play will go ahead tonight and tomorrow at 7.30pm. Tickets are available from Just Kitchenware at 8 High Street, Dereham or by telephone on 01362 699899.