Norfolk am-dram group in real life drama
Richard ParrA mid-Norfolk amateur dramatic society faced a real-life drama tonight when it was forced to cancel the first night of its comedy play.Dereham Operatic Society was to have staged the cult spoof drama, The Farndale Avenue Housing Estate Townswomen's Guild Dramatic Society Murder Mystery, but one of the cast members was taken ill and it was too short notice to find a replacement for the part.Richard Parr
A mid-Norfolk amateur dramatic society faced a real-life drama when it was forced to cancel the first night of its comedy play.
Dereham Operatic Society was to have staged the cult spoof drama, The Farndale Avenue Housing Estate Townswomen's Guild Dramatic Society Murder Mystery on Thursday, but one of the cast members was taken ill and it was too short notice to find a replacement for the part.
Because of the nature of the play, described as 'Acorn Antiques meets Agatha Christie', it would have been almost impossible to find someone to take on the part of the indisposed cast member so the Society regretfully decided to cancel the performance.
Society members were at the town's Memorial Hall on Thursday night to tell the 120 people who had bought tickets that the show was off and to advise them that they could change their tickets for another date or have a refund.
You may also want to watch:
An evening of hilarity was in prospect for the audience because everything that the Guild's members touch goes disastrously wrong.
The society apologised to patrons for any inconvenience caused and hopes that they can still see another performance.
- 1 Mass coronavirus vaccination centre opens in Norwich today
- 2 Children's home plans includes emergency housing in converted barn
- 3 Vandals leave £80,000 trail of destruction in car park
- 4 Is your surname on this list? You could inherit a fortune
- 5 Everything we know so far about Covid vaccinations in Norfolk and Waveney
- 6 Norfolk to get rapid Covid test sites - to find people without symptoms
- 7 Council increases street cleaning after duck poo complaints
- 8 Heat map images reveal Norfolk's most popular running routes
- 9 Vaccines roll-out to move on to over 70s
- 10 Rugby club left 'frustrated' after finding dog mess on their pitch
It is hoped that the play will go ahead tonight and tomorrow at 7.30pm. Tickets are available from Just Kitchenware at 8 High Street, Dereham or by telephone on 01362 699899.