Northgate appoints new headteacher
Kathryn CrossA Dereham secondary school has looked to the other side of the world in its search for a new head teacher.Northgate High School has appointed Alex Reed, currently deputy headmaster at Westlake Boys High School in Auckland, New Zealand.Kathryn Cross
A Dereham secondary school has looked to the other side of the world in its search for a new headteacher.
Northgate High School has appointed Alex Reed, currently deputy head at Westlake Boys High School in Auckland, New Zealand.
He will take up his new appointment on April 1. The previous head, John Smith, left in August and the school is currently run under the leadership of acting head Sue Wheeler.
In a letter to parents Alan Jones, chair of governors, said Mr Reed was the outstanding candidate.
He said: 'We had a very strong field of candidates who were put through a demanding two-day selection process which included written tasks, presentations, meetings with pupils and staff, an assembly and several focussed interview sessions with a selection committee of governors.
'Mr Reed proved himself to be an experienced and passionate educator who has the leadership skills to build on Northgate's many strengths and to further improve the quality of teaching and learning available at the school.'
- 1 Social club to host beer festival in memory of beloved former chairman
- 2 'Some haven't had a cut since Covid' - hairdresser on growing challenges
- 3 Village pub to finally reopen after being shut for four years
- 4 Dereham barbershop named as one of UK's top 20
- 5 Share of £120,000 cash pot on offer to Breckland groups
- 6 Norfolk war hero saluted at poignant service
- 7 Person banned from driving arrested after crashing into pedestrian crossing
- 8 Drivers slammed for parking outside centre for people with disabilities
- 9 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 10 Ex-military police officer elected as Dereham's new mayor
Mr Reed has an honours degree in English from Cambridge University and a PGCE from the University of Sheffield. He was deputy headteacher at Greenford High School and Language College in London.
before moving to New Zealand 2007 and to his current post at one of that country's top state secondary schools.
Mr Reed said: 'I feel privileged and humbled to have the opportunity to lead a wonderful school like Northgate. My family and I are very excited that we will be moving to Dereham, and I look forward to getting to know the students, parents and staff of the school in the coming years.'