‘People are devastated’ - Family speak of their grief after death of Dereham man Jordie Rae
PUBLISHED: 08:13 24 July 2017 | UPDATED: 17:19 24 July 2017
The family of a Dereham man who died suddenly have spoken of their grief and described their son as “a lovely lad who didn’t have a bad bone in his body.”
Jordie Rae, 28, of Florence Walk in Dereham, died in the early hours of Saturday, July 15.
His family said he was “a fantastic son, brother and uncle”.
His father George Rae said: “He’ll never be forgotten, he was one of those people, the whole town is crying at the moment. People are devastated.
“On the day we found out we couldn’t go anywhere without being stopped, people were crying and saying ‘poor old Jordie’, the whole town was just shocked. “Everyone loved him and we just didn’t envisage how many.
“It’s still sinking in and I think we get our strength from everybody that knew him. If we didn’t have that we wouldn’t be coping.”
Mr Rae’s mother Tracey Rae said: “We’ve had his mates from school ringing us, from the skate park and from his raving days. One of his best mates was a 50-year-old guy who told us he was one of his best mates ever. Every generation loved our Jordie.
“There’s a message from the skate park on Facebook which says ‘I’ll never forget him, I was being bullied at the skate park and some guys nicked my wine gums and Jordie told me not to worry’. He then went to Morrisons and got a new pack – he just wouldn’t think twice about helping anybody.”
His twin sister Hannah Taaffe described him as a “sensitive soul” who was always friendly to everyone and said her two children loved him dearly.
The family said that they knew he had been going through a tough time but did not realise the depth of his difficulties. Mrs Rae said: “If you pick up on just an inkling something is wrong, if you pick up something with your child, look into it, don’t dismiss it and make sure they are alright.”
Mr Rae added: “We didn’t spot it and by the time we knew what he was going to do it was too late. Anybody in a situation like that where they thinking of taking their own life they’ve got to talk to someone.”
An inquest was opened on Friday and heard Mr Rae was found in Rolling Pin Lane and his death was caused by asphyxia. A full inquest will be held in due course.
Mr Rae’s funeral service is to held at St Nicholas Church, Dereham, on July 28 at 10.30am.