Planetarium brings wonders of night sky to Toftwood classroom
- Credit: Ian Burt
The sky at night was brought to children during their school day thanks to the special effects created in a mobile planetarium.
Pupils from Toftwood Infant School were treated to the visit from Starlincs, based in Lincolnshire, who brought their specially-designed inflatable dome to create a night-time experience.
The visit was planned to help the Year 2 children with their night-time topic.
Two classes, who borrowed a hall at the nearby junior school for the event, were able to sit inside the planetarium and learn about why we have night and day on Earth, with particular interest in animals and habitats and why some are nocturnal.
There were plenty of night time sounds to discover as well as a bit of star-gazing.
Deputy headteacher Amanda Bell said the children were very inquisitive.
She said: 'We know that visitors and trips can enhance learning in school, and this visit did just that. The children asked new questions and really connected their in-class thinking.'
- 1 Dereham coach firm closes after more than 50 years in business
- 2 Delays ease on A47 near Dereham after four-vehicle crash
- 3 Council fighting not to have to publish details of golf club talks
- 4 'Not a lot of spending' - Dereham traders report footfall decline
- 5 Drivers face delays after two crashes near Dereham
- 6 Could you help to monitor standards inside this Norfolk prison?
- 7 Canaries legends to feature in match for brave four-year-old Kayla
- 8 Biggest 'shooting star' meteor shower to peak this week
- 9 Dog owners urged to take 'five-second test' before walking pets in heat
- 10 Norfolk man's relatable videos earn him millions of views and celeb fans
Six-year-old Arthur said 'it was a bit weird' when they first went into the planetarium through the dark tunnel but admitted it was 'very exciting'.
Josie, who was celebrating her seventh birthday, said they had been thinking about people who might work at night and would then need to sleep during the day, like the police.
Are you having a fun learning experience in your school? Email firstname.lastname@example.org