Poppy Appeal boosted by sale of knitted carnival poppies
- Credit: Michael Lyons
The Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal is £390 better off thanks to a nifty knitter in Dereham.
Ann Edwards knitted 218 poppies for this year's Dereham Carnival yarn-bombing project, one for every name on the town's war memorial. They made a spectacular display on the grass around the war memorial for the annual town event in July.
After Carnival the committee decided to sell some of the poppies and a total of 65 were bought, raising £390 for the Poppy Appeal.
Dereham RBL Poppy Appeal organiser John English accepted the cheque from carnival mascot Biscuit at the war memorial today.
'I thought the poppies were an excellent idea,' he said. 'This town shows a great deal of respect for the armed forces.'
He said the money would go straight to the Poppy Appeal welfare fund to support serving and ex-service personnel and their families.
The Dereham knitters, led by Judy Rogers, are still clicking away at their needles to create some toy soldiers to adorn the bollards in the Market Place for the Christmas Lights switch-on on December 3.
- 1 Social club to host beer festival in memory of beloved former chairman
- 2 'Some haven't had a cut since Covid' - hairdresser on growing challenges
- 3 Village pub to finally reopen after being shut for four years
- 4 Dereham barbershop named as one of UK's top 20
- 5 Share of £120,000 cash pot on offer to Breckland groups
- 6 Norfolk war hero saluted at poignant service
- 7 Person banned from driving arrested after crashing into pedestrian crossing
- 8 Drivers slammed for parking outside centre for people with disabilities
- 9 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 10 Ex-military police officer elected as Dereham's new mayor
'The knitting project has really grown from a tiny idea into something huge,' she said. 'We have big plans for next year's Carnival.'
* A new Poppy Appeal pop-up shop is open in the former Barnardos charity shop in the Market Place. Staffed by volunteers is is selling all the Poppy Appeal merchandise from badges to wristbands and more and is open 10am to 3pm every day until Sunday.
A full range of the Poppy Shop's collection can be found at online at www.poppyshop.org.uk.