Quiet start for major road scheme
Ian Clarke The start of about six months of works on one of Norfolk's busiest stretches of road got off to a relatively quiet start today.The Highways Agency is putting in a roundabout at the Mattishall Road junction of the A47 Dereham-Norwich road at Honingham to improve safety.
The start of about six months of works on one of Norfolk's busiest stretches of road got off to a relatively quiet start today.
The Highways Agency is putting in a roundabout at the Mattishall Road junction of the A47 Dereham-Norwich road at Honingham to improve safety.
There had been fears that the scheme would cause major congestion - but there was better news last week for the 25,000 drivers a day who travel along the stretch of road when the extent of the project was revealed.
Both sides of the A47 will be open at all times during the day with a 40mph speed limit.
When one lane needs to be closed it will only be between the hours of 8pm and 6am.
- 1 Man dies after collapsing during dog walk in Norfolk village
- 2 Young people transform care home's garden in just four days
- 3 A47 reopens after serious crash near Swaffham
- 4 Long-delayed wedding finally takes place... in 1941
- 5 Final details revealed ahead of Queen's Dragoon Guards freedom parade
- 6 Road closures to be put in place for Queen's Dragoon Guards parade
- 7 'Proper farming' sees dairy family crowned Norfolk farm champions
- 8 Man charged in connection with burglary at Dereham home
- 9 Why has my car been covered in dust?
- 10 Man caught with cannabis after armed police called to Dereham park
Today as the project got underway, police reported no serious delays and motorists who contacted the EDP said their journeys had taken little or no time more than usual.
The contractors will carry out work in different phases away from the A47 and link up the new roundabout and road towards the end of the project overnight, when lane closures and traffic lights will be in place.
But despite the reassurances motorists are being warned to still leave extra time for their journey.
The Mattishall Road turning will be closed for four weeks at some point in early November. A diversion will be in place along nearby Berry's Lane.
The construction is expected to last until mid-March 2009 subject to weather over the winter period. Work will be suspended over the Christmas period from December 19 to January 5.
tLet us know of any problems you experience along the stretch of A47. E-mail email@example.com or ring 01362 854701.