Quiet start for major road scheme
Ian Clarke The start of about six months of works on one of Norfolk's busiest stretches of road got off to a relatively quiet start today.The Highways Agency is putting in a roundabout at the Mattishall Road junction of the A47 Dereham-Norwich road at Honingham to improve safety.
The start of about six months of works on one of Norfolk's busiest stretches of road got off to a relatively quiet start today.
The Highways Agency is putting in a roundabout at the Mattishall Road junction of the A47 Dereham-Norwich road at Honingham to improve safety.
There had been fears that the scheme would cause major congestion - but there was better news last week for the 25,000 drivers a day who travel along the stretch of road when the extent of the project was revealed.
Both sides of the A47 will be open at all times during the day with a 40mph speed limit.
When one lane needs to be closed it will only be between the hours of 8pm and 6am.
- 1 Waffle and milkshake delivery business opens in Dereham
- 2 Norfolk man amongst UK's 12 most wanted
- 3 Man taken to hospital after crash involving car and tractor
- 4 Pub near Dereham has its first winners of steak-eating challenge
- 5 Boris Johnson expected to announce easing of Covid-19 Plan B restrictions
- 6 Air ambulance called after three people seriously injured in A47 crash
- 7 Aldi chocolate and yoghurts containing metal among recent recalled products
- 8 Father accused of baby girl's murder had a 'short temper'
- 9 Royal British Legion branch to celebrate 100th anniversary
- 10 Railway launches appeal to restore signal box
Today as the project got underway, police reported no serious delays and motorists who contacted the EDP said their journeys had taken little or no time more than usual.
The contractors will carry out work in different phases away from the A47 and link up the new roundabout and road towards the end of the project overnight, when lane closures and traffic lights will be in place.
But despite the reassurances motorists are being warned to still leave extra time for their journey.
The Mattishall Road turning will be closed for four weeks at some point in early November. A diversion will be in place along nearby Berry's Lane.
The construction is expected to last until mid-March 2009 subject to weather over the winter period. Work will be suspended over the Christmas period from December 19 to January 5.
tLet us know of any problems you experience along the stretch of A47. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or ring 01362 854701.