Reader letter: James’ story shows that carers deseerve a better deal
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2017
I expect that I am not the only one humbled to read about young carer James Simmons who has looked after his ailing mum and younger brother since he was nine years old.
I am filled with admiration for this youngster who has missed so much of his childhood doing what amounts to almost a full time job whilst trying to keep up with his education.
At the same time I am deeply ashamed that our modern society does not seem capable of providing adequate support for young people who find themselves in such a situation.
How can local politicians and those responsible for social care read about James without shedding a tear as I did? Are we so hell bent on providing all sorts of support in other parts of the world that we overlook our own people?
I think the answer must be yes, and it's high time we gave carers such as James a better deal.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Woman who died in A47 collision named
- 2 Pedestrian dies after being hit by lorry on A47
- 3 Major rush hour delays expected as crash involving lorry closes part of A47
- 4 Norfolk troops kill terrorists in Mali after coming under attack
- 5 Thousands of pounds given to surgery in Lorraine's memory
- 6 Man charged with arson after blaze ripped through flat and gardens
- 7 Van artist creates 'most emotional picture' over teen suicide
- 8 Norfolk scams: DVLA texts and family WhatsApp messages
- 9 Music to our ears: Saxophone donated to charity shop valued at £1,000
- 10 Crash blocks road off A47 at Honingham