Reepham shelter success
A youth shelter built as a place for youths to congregate has brought a surprise added benefit for older people living in Reepham.The town's new £10,000 youth shelter, which sports a solar powered radio and lights, is proving a hit not only with youngsters, but with the older generation.
A youth shelter built as a place for youths to congregate has brought a surprise added benefit for older people living in Reepham.
The town's new £10,000 youth shelter, which sports a solar powered radio and lights, is proving a hit not only with youngsters, but with the older generation.
People aged up to 50 have been spotted in the shelter, built for young people at the town's Stimpson's Piece playing fields, enjoying a spot of rest and relaxation.
And the radio has regularly been found tuned into Classic FM.
Trevor Bevan, chairman of the town council, said: “It is being very well used, even by adults. We have found it tuned into Classic FM but it rapidly goes back to more popular young channels like Radio 1.
“We provided it for the youth but it has been a great benefit to older people and people use it to sit in and watch football games on the fields.
- 1 Crowds turn out to celebrate first ever Dereham Day
- 2 Neighbours' tribute to crash victim who 'thought the world of her dogs'
- 3 Locked-up play area to be refurbished after public outcry
- 4 Drug dealing mother-of-five had ‘cocaine stuffed in bra’
- 5 Century-old farm machinery firm invests £6m in its factory's future
- 6 Dereham school recognised for commitment to equality and diversity
- 7 Cost of living - 'Rising energy bills mean we've had to shut'
- 8 'It's scary' - foodbank volunteers lift lid on cost of living crisis
- 9 Tomorrow's lunar eclipse: How and when to see it
- 10 Norfolk woman dies after being stung by wasp in Spain
“But the youngsters are using it and they are really enjoying it.”
The idea came about after a town appraisal and youngsters saying they had no where to go. Police supported an applicatiom for funding and an award of £7,000 was given by Awards for All.
The shelter is part of a scheme adding new facilities to the recreation area, run by a charity, at Reepham.
A new play area has been built and a skate park is currently under construction.