Reepham shelter success
A youth shelter built as a place for youths to congregate has brought a surprise added benefit for older people living in Reepham.The town's new £10,000 youth shelter, which sports a solar powered radio and lights, is proving a hit not only with youngsters, but with the older generation.
A youth shelter built as a place for youths to congregate has brought a surprise added benefit for older people living in Reepham.
The town's new £10,000 youth shelter, which sports a solar powered radio and lights, is proving a hit not only with youngsters, but with the older generation.
People aged up to 50 have been spotted in the shelter, built for young people at the town's Stimpson's Piece playing fields, enjoying a spot of rest and relaxation.
And the radio has regularly been found tuned into Classic FM.
You may also want to watch:
Trevor Bevan, chairman of the town council, said: “It is being very well used, even by adults. We have found it tuned into Classic FM but it rapidly goes back to more popular young channels like Radio 1.
“We provided it for the youth but it has been a great benefit to older people and people use it to sit in and watch football games on the fields.
- 1 Early hours blaze tears through flat and gardens
- 2 Rescue centre saw demand for dogs jump 400pc during lockdown
- 3 Farm enjoying another bumper year for pumpkin picking
- 4 Trio launch new bell tent venture with a twist
- 5 Man in 80s from Norfolk found not guilty of historic sexual offences
- 6 Pedestrian dies after being hit by lorry on A47
- 7 Major rush hour delays expected as crash involving lorry closes part of A47
- 8 Man charged with arson after blaze ripped through flat and gardens
- 9 Crash blocks road off A47 at Honingham
- 10 Thousands of pounds given to surgery in Lorraine's memory
“But the youngsters are using it and they are really enjoying it.”
The idea came about after a town appraisal and youngsters saying they had no where to go. Police supported an applicatiom for funding and an award of £7,000 was given by Awards for All.
The shelter is part of a scheme adding new facilities to the recreation area, run by a charity, at Reepham.
A new play area has been built and a skate park is currently under construction.