Scheme to hunt for council homes online
A new web-based scheme to help people on Breckland Council's housing register find a home is to start next month.The Breckland Key Select Scheme will enable prospective tenants to view available housing association properties on a dedicated website, and register an interest in those they think are the most suitable for them.
A new web-based scheme to help people on Breckland Council's housing register find a home is to start next month.
The Breckland Key Select Scheme will enable prospective tenants to view available housing association properties on a dedicated website, and register an interest in those they think are the most suitable for them.
At the moment 2,618 people are on Breckland Council's housing register, and Breckland's principal housing officer Darryl Smith said the idea of the scheme was to make people more independent and proactive in finding a property.
'People will be able to look at the vacancies and then 'bid' for a property, which means that they can register an interest,' she said, adding that the bidding would be monitored and people on the housing register who were not making bids would be contacted to see if they need help with the service. 'Bidding' can be done by phone, text message or
You may also want to watch:
Mrs Smith said people's choices would be limited to what their needs are, so for example a single man would not be able to bid for a four-bedroom house, but that people would be able to choose what area they would like to live in.
- 1 Pedestrian dies after being hit by lorry on A47
- 2 Major rush hour delays expected as crash involving lorry closes part of A47
- 3 Crash blocks road off A47 at Honingham
- 4 Norfolk troops kill terrorists in Mali after coming under attack
- 5 Man charged with arson after blaze ripped through flat and gardens
- 6 Thousands of pounds given to surgery in Lorraine's memory
- 7 Trio launch new bell tent venture with a twist
- 8 Early hours blaze tears through flat and gardens
- 9 Van artist creates 'most emotional picture' over teen suicide
- 10 Century-long agreement over Dereham green space to end
After homes have been advertised online for five days the housing association will decide on the successful applicant by looking at factors like each person's housing circumstances, how long they have been on the register and the suitability of the property for their needs. People will be able to see online how many people have bid for a property and what type of person was allocated the home.
The website will go live in mid-November and everyone on the housing register will be sent information about the scheme.