School forges links with China
John Smith, headteacher of Northgate High School, Dereham, has been making contacts in China.He has just returned from a nine-day visit to Shanghai and the purpose of the trip was to visit various schools and to set up a link with one particular school, Weiyu Middle, an 11-16 school in the Xuhui district.
John Smith, headteacher of Northgate High School, Dereham, has been making contacts in China.
He has just returned from a nine-day visit to Shanghai and the purpose of the trip was to visit various schools and to set up a link with one particular school, Weiyu Middle, an 11-16 school in the Xuhui district.
Various gifts were presented to Weiyu school including art work from Year 11 students and a Northgate School Uniform. This was proudly exhibited in a display case in the school drive.
There are huge cultural differences between the two countries. Consequently the education systems are very different. School starts at 7.30 a. with communal outdoor exercise and finishes at 5.30 pm. During the day there are sessions of eye exercise carried out by all pupils to music through the school loudspeaker system.
You may also want to watch:
Students are highly focused with huge pressure from parents to succeed; competition for post 16 places is intense. In spite of this pressure the pupils clearly enjoy their learning and a sense of fun underpins the curriculum, where Maths, Chinese and English are regarded as the main subjects.
The next step is for students from Northgate and Weiyu to be involved in a joint curriculum project. It is hoped that one or two teachers will pay short visits in the autumn to teach in each other's schools, leading to a pupil exchange at a later date.
- 1 Man charged with arson after blaze ripped through flat and gardens
- 2 Early hours blaze tears through flat and gardens
- 3 Rescue centre saw demand for dogs jump 400pc during lockdown
- 4 Fears raised over Western Link surveying work
- 5 Farm enjoying another bumper year for pumpkin picking
- 6 Man in 80s from Norfolk found not guilty of historic sexual offences
- 7 Norfolk hit by flooding as storms reach the county
- 8 Major rush hour delays expected as crash involving lorry closes part of A47
- 9 Thousands of pounds given to surgery in Lorraine's memory
- 10 Met Office issues warning for thunderstorms in Norfolk