Shed burnt to the ground in Dereham fire
- Credit: Eastern Daily Press © 2011
A garden shed has been completely destroyed after bursting into flames.
The fire that happened on Moorgate Lane in Dereham erupted at around 10pm on Saturday night.
A resident who lives close to the property said they had first assumed it was a bonfire but grew suspicious when they noticed the amount of smoke and a strange smell. 'It didn't smell like a bonfire, it had a plastic smell to it,' they said.
'We rang the fire brigade straight away and I rang them a further time because the fire started popping and banging and I could see the flames rising.'
Fire crews from Dereham and Watton were dispatched to the scene and they used hose reel jets to fight back the flames.
You may also want to watch:
No one was injured and the cause has not been determined.
The owner of the shed said that fire crews on the scene suggested it could have been caused by a stray firework or Chinese lantern.
- 1 Woman who died in A47 collision named
- 2 Norfolk troops kill terrorists in Mali after coming under attack
- 3 Has Dereham started its Christmas shopping early?
- 4 Tributes paid to talented Dereham golfer Richard Wilson
- 5 Delays on A47 due to collapsed manhole cover
- 6 New gym set to open at town's business park
- 7 'The company was becoming the story' - Under fire care home firm to sell up
- 8 New signs to 'put Dereham on the map' are unveiled
- 9 Pedestrian dies after being hit by lorry on A47
- 10 Potential resurrection of Dereham Rotary Club to be discussed at meeting