Pub’s plans to bring shisha pipes to market town
- Credit: Archant
A taste of Asia will be making its way to mid-Norfolk next month with the arrival of shisha pipes at a Dereham pub.
The pipes are being installed at The Railway Tavern, off Yaxham Road, and will be ready to use on Friday, July 5.
Landlord Paul Sandford was inspired to introduce the items at his pub following a visit to a restaurant and after talking to friends.
He said: "The idea came from two sources really after visiting a Moroccan restaurant in London and also friends in Weeze, Germany.
"It is becoming very popular and it can be nicotine free or with nicotine - we will offer both.
You may also want to watch:
"It works by the bowl being covered with a perforated foil sheet or metal screen. The hot coals are placed on top of the foil sheet or metal screen, which causes the tobacco in the bowl to heat up and smoke.
"By sucking on the hose, the smoke is drawn down through the down stem and underwater."
- 1 'Singing in their seats' - Pubs promise loud atmosphere for England game
- 2 Plans for wild animals on 100-home development
- 3 Your Say - What should replace Dereham's Prezzo?
- 4 Updated information following serious assault in Dereham
- 5 Man denies attacking brother with wheel brace
- 6 'People didn't know I existed' - Shopkeeper thrilled with new store
- 7 'Heartbroken' - Shock after village play area ‘trashed’ by graffiti vandals
- 8 Town pub revamped as carveries prove a hit
- 9 Man in 30s left in need of surgery after serious assault
- 10 Pub reopens with brand new wine boutique
The shishas will each have four pipes attached with the aim of making it an activity for groups to experience.
The World Health Organisation issued a report in 2005 on the health effects of waterpipe tobacco smoking.