Shock as windows at Toftwood Methodist Church in Dereham are smashed
- Credit: Archant
A church community has been left shocked and disappointed after three windows at their place of worship were smashed.
The damage, at Toftwood Methodist Church in Dereham, happened some time between 1pm on Sunday, October 22 and 9am the following morning.
Bill Platten, 86, the church's property steward, said he was upset by the act of thoughtless vandalism.
He said: 'My first thoughts were not good thoughts. I was shocked.
'People should have respect for the property of others.
You may also want to watch:
'The thing is, there's nothing in it - it's to no avail.
'They should be brought to justice.'
- 1 Your Say - What are Dereham's favourite shops?
- 2 'Just a dream' - Bridal suite and photography studio open in Dereham
- 3 New home and 'collective purpose' for men's shed
- 4 Scouts offer free activity sessions for Norfolk youngsters
- 5 Farmers hope to open egg shop in football club car park
- 6 Risk of flooding in parts of region as storms slowly move in
- 7 Review: 'My new favourite' - excellent dishes at country coaching inn
- 8 Covid testing bus arrives at Dereham supermarket
- 9 Fire door company hiring more staff despite pandemic
- 10 Work starts on new park in heart of town
Joyce Gathercole, 66, the church's treasurer, said: 'My first thought was annoyance, I guess, It just makes me cross because it's to no purpose. If they needed money or help all they had to do was come to us, but this is just pure vandalism.'
Mr Platten said the damage would be covered by insurance, but it was still a pointless waste of resources.
He said: 'We do try to work in the community and spend our money in that respect, and then something like this happens.
'We could be doing something better with that money for people's benefit.'
Miss Gathercole said events such as the vandalism were rare, so when they did happen they came as a surprise.
She said about three years ago there was a break-in at the church, but all the culprits managed to do was to force open a safe, which was empty anyway.
A Norfolk Constabulary spokesman said: 'Suspect(s) smashed three windows at Toftwood Methodist Church, in Chapel Lane, sometime between 1pm on Sunday and 9am on Monday (22 and 23 October).
'Anyone with information about the incident, or noticed anything suspicious in the area between the times stated should contact the Dereham Safer Neighbourhood Team on 101.'
Information can also be reported anonymously to Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
The church runs events including a film club on the second Friday of the month at 2pm, bowls on Tuesdays at 7pm and a luncheon club. For more information about events at the church, visit eangliamethodist.org.uk/toftwood