Shoe Doctor is our first Shop of the Week
- Credit: Archant
It was a simple, kind gesture but it has made one shop in Dereham the talk of the town.
When Emma Clayton went to get some keys cut at the Shoe Doctor she casually mentioned to shop owners Carl and Natasha Adcock that her son loved playing with her keys but she had been unable to find any 'play' keys for him at a toy shop.
So without hesitating Mr Adcock took a few faulty keys, smoothed the edges and handed them to Miss Clayton on a keyring - with no charge.
She and her son, Jude Staples, who turned one on Tuesday, were so delighted with the small act of generosity that she took to social media to express her thanks, and they have all been blown away by the response.
Dozens of parents commented on to the post on a community Facebook page to request play keys for their children and the Adcocks have been busy getting new sets ready for grateful customers.
Others have been quick to praise the couple for their customer service, whether for the key cutting, shoe repairing or dry cleaning sides of the business.
Miss Clayton said: 'It was so thoughtful of them. Jude was playing up a bit and they understand, having children themselves, what it is like when you go shopping and you want to keep the peace. I'm so glad they are getting some recognition.'
- 1 Huge solar farm proposed near Roman site
- 2 Volunteer exodus puts future of beloved windmill under threat
- 3 Four vehicles, including lorry, involved in 'serious crash' on A1067
- 4 Schools in Norfolk face classroom closures due to coronavirus
- 5 Decision over funding for Queen Mother's Garden revamp delayed
- 6 Father accused of baby murder blamed car seat for bruise
- 7 What the average UK house price can buy you in Norfolk's towns
- 8 Man injured teen with catapult after supermarket row
- 9 Bid to convert village house into nine flats
- 10 Town centre set to welcome vegan street food truck
And we at the Times agree, and feel businesses who go above and beyond for their customers should be recognised.
So, as part of our Dig Deep for Dereham campaign, we are starting a Shop Of The Week series with Shoe Doctor as the first to be featured.
We are calling on you to nominate a shop, cafe, or small business in Dereham and surrounding area that has gone the extra mile for you, whether providing a quiet corner and a drink for a breastfeeding mum, or giving a helping hand to an elderly customer. We want to hear about it.
If you know of a deserving business email firstname.lastname@example.org.