Search

Smokehouse on fire

PUBLISHED: 13:44 10 September 2008 | UPDATED: 14:41 07 July 2010

A Norfolk smokehouse was narrowly saved from being turned indo cinders on Tuesday night.

A chimney at Mid-Norfolk Smokehouse and Seafoods caught fire and set light to the roof of the building it was in.

A smokehouse was narrowly saved from being turned into cinders on Tuesday night.

A chimney at Mid-Norfolk Smokehouse and Seafoods caught fire and set light to the roof of the building it was in.

But the blaze, at a farm at Cranworth, was caught early by a member of staff and fire fighters put it out and stopped it spreading within about an hour.

Smokehouse owner George Bunning said had the member of staff not been in the building changing smokers, they might not have caught the fire and the whole building could have burned down.

As it was production was only effected by about 10pc, he said.

It is thought tar in the smoker chimney caused the fire.

The firm smokes fish from kippers to haddock for wholesale.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Dereham Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Dereham Times