Smokehouse on fire

A Norfolk smokehouse was narrowly saved from being turned indo cinders on Tuesday night.A chimney at Mid-Norfolk Smokehouse and Seafoods caught fire and set light to the roof of the building it was in.

A smokehouse was narrowly saved from being turned into cinders on Tuesday night.

A chimney at Mid-Norfolk Smokehouse and Seafoods caught fire and set light to the roof of the building it was in.

But the blaze, at a farm at Cranworth, was caught early by a member of staff and fire fighters put it out and stopped it spreading within about an hour.

Smokehouse owner George Bunning said had the member of staff not been in the building changing smokers, they might not have caught the fire and the whole building could have burned down.

As it was production was only effected by about 10pc, he said.

It is thought tar in the smoker chimney caused the fire.

Most Read

The firm smokes fish from kippers to haddock for wholesale.