Tribute paid to father who died after suffering a seizure

Stuart Yates. Picture: Courtesy Mr Yate's family

Stuart Yates. Picture: Courtesy Mr Yate's family


Tribute has been paid to a beloved father who died after suffering a seizure.

Stuart Yates, right, with brother Philip Yates. Picture: Courtesy Mr Yate's familyStuart Yates, right, with brother Philip Yates. Picture: Courtesy Mr Yate's family

Stuart Yates, 48, died on February 3 last year at his home in Boundary Close, Dereham.

An inquest at Norfolk Coroner’s Court on Friday heard that Mr Yates was an epileptic who sustained fatal injuries after he had a seizure when he home alone overnight.

A statement from Mr Yates’s family read: “Stuart was a kind and gentle person who battled an addiction to alcohol. He was a friendly person who didn’t like to see people struggle. Although he was alcohol dependent he cared greatly about his family.

“Stuart had recently been in rehabilitation in London and was looking forward to a fresh start in Dereham.

Stuart Yates with family. Picture: Courtesy Mr Yate's familyStuart Yates with family. Picture: Courtesy Mr Yate's family

“He moved into a lovely flat and was really positive and excited as it over looked the Dereham Cricket Ground. His struggle with alcohol was greater than his ability to remain sober.

“Stuart always maintained he would need supported accommodation like he received in London 24/7 and for 365 days of the year, however there isn’t the funding available for this to happen.”

Mr Yates was the eldest of five children to Joseph Yates and Ann Yates, both deceased, and brother to Wendy Yates, also deceased.

He leaves behind three children: Lynn, Liam and Hannah, two brothers: Johnathan and Philip and a sister, Kelly Clark.

The inquest heard Mr Yates, who was originally from King’s Lynn, had a high level of baclofen in system. He had been prescribed the spasticity drug by his GP as he had persistent pain in his left arm which regularly kept him from his sleep.

But Yvonne Blake, area coroner, said there was no evidence Mr Yates intended to harm himself, and also no evidence that the baclofen had caused the seizure.

Giving a narrative conclusion, she said: “Mr Yates suffered from epilepsy as well as a number of other co-morbidities. He was on regular medication for this and other conditions. It appears that he suffered a seizure or seizures and sustained injuries during the night.” Mr Yates’s family said they wanted to thank everyone involved in the investigation into his death, including his friends Linda and Joe Williamson, Detective Inspector Stuart Chapman, Detective Constable Mike Proctor and the family liaison team.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Dereham Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Latest from the Dereham Times