Swanton Morley pipped to national village of year title
Elaine MaslinThe Norfolk village of Swanton Morley has just missed out on the top spot in the Calor Village of the Year England competition 2009/10. The final results of the competition have been announced and although Swanton Morley put up a good fight and proved that they were a real contender, it was Newton le Willows in North Yorkshire that gained the national title for England.Elaine Maslin
The Norfolk village of Swanton Morley has just missed out on the top spot in the Calor Village of the Year England competition 2009/10.
The final results of the competition have been announced and although Swanton Morley put up a good fight and proved that they were a real contender, it was Newton le Willows in North Yorkshire that gained the national title for England.
Calor Village of the Year manager, Holly Sims, said: 'This was a really close competition - all of the regional winners are great communities and our judging team had a very difficult task in selecting an overall winner.
'Swanton Morley should be extremely proud of its success in the competition as winning a regional title is no mean feat. I'm sure villagers are disappointed not to be our overall winner for England, but their achievements in the competition throughout the year - at both county and regional level - have been fantastic and they deserve warm congratulations.'
You may also want to watch:
Calor Village of the Year judges villages across four key areas: community - a better place to live, business - a better place to work, sustainability - a better future, and communications - being in contact.
In awarding Swanton Morley the title for East England judges particularly noted the excellent range of services on offer for all ages in this community as well as the way the village has coped so well in uniting residents with the army families who live in the area.
- 1 Step in the right direction for neglected footpath
- 2 Sir David Attenborough praises Dereham school’s eco achievements
- 3 Man denies causing death by careless driving on A47 in Norfolk
- 4 Why your phone might warn you of a 'terror attack' today
- 5 Armed forces to be honoured in council ceremony
- 6 Part of A47 closed after concerns for woman’s welfare
- 7 Norfolk council agrees to go smoke free at headquarters
- 8 Your Say: Will Dereham locals go on holiday abroad this summer?
- 9 Hot property - Homes selling just days after being on market
- 10 Norfolk set for dry week with temperatures to rise
As the regional winner for East England, Swanton Morley has won a total of �2,000 prize money to invest back into community projects.
To find out more about Calor Village of the Year, including full details the winning villages for 2009/10, please visit the competition website at www.calorvillageoftheyear.org