Two-week village festival returns after 25-year break
- Credit: Archant
Two weeks of sport, culture, competitions and live music are being held in a mid-Norfolk village.
The Swanton Morley Village Festival is back after a 25-year break and is run under the auspices of the parish council
It launched on Friday, July 12, with a jazz picnic hosted by John Carrick at Castle Farm.
Organiser Brenda O'Dowd said: "We have a full-to-bursting two weeks of sport, culture, competitions and live music events finishing on Saturday, July 27 with a grand finale of Dereham Band's Brass on the Grass.
"This is the first festival we've done in 25 years, and the first time it's ever been on for two weeks.
You may also want to watch:
"The last time it was run for a specific purpose, fundraising for a new village hall. It was parish council chairman Roger Atterwill's idea, and I was not going to duck the responsibility. There's a very small team of us running it, just five. We have already sold a lot of tickets."
There is a ceilidh at the village hall on Friday, July 19.
- 1 'I've lost my pension': Car collection destroyed by 'professional' vandal
- 2 A47 closed in both directions after crash
- 3 Covid rips through care homes again with deaths almost doubling in a week
- 4 Armed police detain man after 18 hours of negotiations
- 5 Woman hurt as A47 crash leaves car in ditch
- 6 'Full' foodbank gets new home as demand surges
- 7 Family's anger after woman, 82, faced being 'marooned' by floodwater
- 8 Former Hollywood Cinema boss becomes award-winning carer
- 9 Timeline: When should you receive the coronavirus vaccine?
- 10 Mass coronavirus vaccination centre opens in Norwich today
Mrs O'Dowd added: "In fact, there are a number of different venues whose owners have kindly given their time, location and funding to support the festival - it is a real community venture.
"The centrepiece of the festival is the jam-packed village fete day at the village hall on Saturday, July 20, starting with the opening ceremony and a vintage aircraft flyover.
"The day continues with a craft fair, lots of street food, displays from the Queen's Dragoon Guards, Norfolk Fire and Rescue, Norfolk police, The Hawk and Owl Trust, Falling Star Wrestling and others.
"The evening events follow with Swanton's Got Talent, a showcase of local talent, and, finally, for those still standing and with enough stamina - a disco and karaoke."
For more information, visit swantonmorleyfestival.co.uk/index.php/timetable-of-events/