‘The pick of my plants!’ – Dereham businessman’s offer to charities
- Credit: Matthew Usher
A Dereham businessman is championing a scheme to get charities and local groups blooming.
Owner of Corners nursery and farm shop, Philip Morter, is offering organisations the pick of his plants to sell at their charity event.
His farm Shop, based at Hoe, asks local groups to select the plants they want to sell at their event and agree a wholesale price.
At the end of the event any unsold plants can be returned to the nursery – whilst the charity gets to keep all the profit made.
The idea was first sown three years ago, and since then Mr Morter says he has seen the number of groups helped by the generous project grow.
You may also want to watch:
Last year around 20 charities raised more than £1,000 as a result of selling plants at their events.
From schools and churches to the Royal Lifeboat, Mr Morter said he now wants that number to rise to 50 charities or groups.
- 1 'I've lost my pension': Car collection destroyed by 'professional' vandal
- 2 Timeline: When should you receive the coronavirus vaccine?
- 3 Armed police detain man after 18 hours of negotiations
- 4 A47 closed in both directions after crash
- 5 Wetherspoon pubs reveal reopening plan after 'zero' sales
- 6 'Full' foodbank gets new home as demand surges
- 7 Norwich sees biggest rise in Covid infection rates in the country
- 8 Covid responsible for half of all deaths in worst hit areas of Norfolk
- 9 Landlords invited to webinar to keep up with changing rules
- 10 Mass coronavirus vaccination centre opens in Norwich today
'We are doing it because we get pleasure out of helping other people – we are helping people help themselves,' he said.
'Last year we had so many events supported by the scheme and the charities made a good amount of money from it.'
Mr Morter took over the nursery with his wife Jennifer in November 2011.
Since opening, the site has seen the expansion of a coffee shop, craft and antiques stalls and a Food and Drink Fair.
Saturday March 8 will be their next event Fair from 10am.
To find out more information about the plant scheme, contact 01362 869192