Which high street shop will be next to arrive in Dereham?
- Credit: Ian Burt
Excitement is growing following the announcement of plans to bring a popular high street chain to Dereham.
The Works, which sells gifts, arts, crafts, toys, books and stationery has advertised for a store manager for a new branch in the mid-Norfolk market town.
Although specific details have yet to be confirmed, a spokesperson for the company did reveal that there are plans in the pipelines.
They said: 'We are looking to open a new store in Dereham in the next few months. We'll share more details as soon as our plans are confirmed.'
The news appeared to be gratefully received by residents in the town, with many taking to the Facebook group Dereham Community Notice Board to share their views.
You may also want to watch:
June Salmon said The Works would be positive for Dereham and added that a Primark 'would be good' for the town too.
Gemma Louise Smith said: 'That's brill news, great shop and will definitely do good in Dereham.'
- 1 Early hours blaze tears through flat and gardens
- 2 Man charged with arson after blaze ripped through flat and gardens
- 3 Rescue centre saw demand for dogs jump 400pc during lockdown
- 4 Fears raised over Western Link surveying work
- 5 Farm enjoying another bumper year for pumpkin picking
- 6 Man in 80s from Norfolk found not guilty of historic sexual offences
- 7 Norfolk hit by flooding as storms reach the county
- 8 Thousands of pounds given to surgery in Lorraine's memory
- 9 Met Office issues warning for thunderstorms in Norfolk
- 10 Two fires in two hours on mid-Norfolk road
While Jean Ede said her wish had been granted, and Amanda Leonard posted 'that's made my day'.
One person said they were looking forward to purchasing animals dusters while others praised the selection of books and products for children, as well as affordable items which would help with buying presents for events such as Christmas and birthdays.
Paul Savage added: 'Great news. Everywhere needs a Works shop. So good for books and the children's stuff is amazing. Great prices as well.'
The Works has more than 450 stores in the UK and Ireland as well as an online presence but a potential location for a branch of The Works in Dereham still remains a mystery. Branches have also recently opened in Fakenham and Swaffham.
Currently in Dereham the former New Look store in Nelson Place is under construction and the former Adcocks building, on Norwich Street, is under offer.
The building which housed Dereham DIY and Hardware, which has now reopened under new management on Market Place under the name Harris Hardware , remains empty, as well as Chattels , and the town's Sports Direct branch is due to shut permanently on Tuesday March 19.