Which high street shop will be next to arrive in Dereham?
- Credit: Ian Burt
Excitement is growing following the announcement of plans to bring a popular high street chain to Dereham.
The Works, which sells gifts, arts, crafts, toys, books and stationery has advertised for a store manager for a new branch in the mid-Norfolk market town.
Although specific details have yet to be confirmed, a spokesperson for the company did reveal that there are plans in the pipelines.
They said: 'We are looking to open a new store in Dereham in the next few months. We'll share more details as soon as our plans are confirmed.'
The news appeared to be gratefully received by residents in the town, with many taking to the Facebook group Dereham Community Notice Board to share their views.
June Salmon said The Works would be positive for Dereham and added that a Primark 'would be good' for the town too.
Gemma Louise Smith said: 'That's brill news, great shop and will definitely do good in Dereham.'
- 1 Mum killed in A47 collision was ‘walking to Norwich’, inquest hears
- 2 'It's scary' - foodbank volunteers lift lid on cost of living crisis
- 3 Neighbours' tribute to crash victim who 'thought the world of her dogs'
- 4 More details revealed ahead of Dereham's Jubilee celebrations
- 5 Locked-up play area to be refurbished after public outcry
- 6 Crowds turn out to celebrate first ever Dereham Day
- 7 Drug dealing mother-of-five had ‘cocaine stuffed in bra’
- 8 How the proposed energy price cap changes could affect your bills
- 9 Annual service to be held in memory of Norfolk war hero
- 10 7 food and drink themed trains you can ride in Norfolk this summer
While Jean Ede said her wish had been granted, and Amanda Leonard posted 'that's made my day'.
One person said they were looking forward to purchasing animals dusters while others praised the selection of books and products for children, as well as affordable items which would help with buying presents for events such as Christmas and birthdays.
Paul Savage added: 'Great news. Everywhere needs a Works shop. So good for books and the children's stuff is amazing. Great prices as well.'
The Works has more than 450 stores in the UK and Ireland as well as an online presence but a potential location for a branch of The Works in Dereham still remains a mystery. Branches have also recently opened in Fakenham and Swaffham.
Currently in Dereham the former New Look store in Nelson Place is under construction and the former Adcocks building, on Norwich Street, is under offer.
The building which housed Dereham DIY and Hardware, which has now reopened under new management on Market Place under the name Harris Hardware , remains empty, as well as Chattels , and the town's Sports Direct branch is due to shut permanently on Tuesday March 19.