Thefts prompt insurance hike for church
Richard ParrInsurance premiums may increase for a Norfolk village church after thieves stripped a large quantity of lead from its roof.It is the third theft of lead from St Mary's Chruch at Gressenhall, near Dereham.Richard Parr
Insurance premiums may increase for a Norfolk village church after thieves stripped a large quantity of lead from its roof.
It is the third theft of lead from St Mary's Chruch at Gressenhall, near Dereham. Previously thieves have taken lead from the porch roof.
The raid happened between Sunday, March 14, and the next morning . It follows a similar incident earlier this month when about 40sq m of roofing lead, worth around �15,000, was taken from the roof at All Saints Church at Swanton Morley, near Dereham.
The churches are two of a string across Norfolk to be targeted by thieves with churches at Walsingham, Dersingham, Hunstanton and Wells among those being struck in recent months.
You may also want to watch:
Deputy churchwarden at St Mary's Church at Gressenhall, Tim Waterfield, said the lead has been taken from the north and south aisle roofs and it was now temporarily covered to keep the rain water from getting into the building. Previously, in two separate thefts, a smaller quantity of leading was taken from the porch roof.
Mr Waterfield said that it was almost certain that the insurance premium for St Mary's Church would be increased and this money will have to be found through more fund-raising.
- 1 Woman who died in A47 collision named
- 2 'The company was becoming the story' - Under fire care home firm to sell up
- 3 Norfolk troops kill terrorists in Mali after coming under attack
- 4 Has Dereham started its Christmas shopping early?
- 5 Tributes paid to talented Dereham golfer Richard Wilson
- 6 New gym set to open at town's business park
- 7 Pedestrian dies after being hit by lorry on A47
- 8 Major rush hour delays expected as crash involving lorry closes part of A47
- 9 Organiser humbled as 210 strong Land Rover convoy raises over £3,000
- 10 Stunning footage shows Flying Scotsman arriving at Mid Norfolk Railway
'It may well be that we will have to look at an alternative material instead of lead for the roof and a material that is not worth stealing. It really is very annoying,' he said.