The Times Awards 2021: Business Owners of the Year
- Credit: Brittany Woodman
The Business Owners of the Year in the Times Awards 2021 are Gemma Hewett and Donna Nevill of Little Footsteps.
Offering full or part-time care for babies and children up to the age of 14 years old, Little Footsteps started out in Dereham and now has a second base in Mattishall.
It was launched by Mrs Hewett and Mrs Nevill back in 2012 and, over the years, has built a reputation as one of the very best places for childcare in the area.
Their job was, of course, made all the more challenging by the coronavirus pandemic, but they have passed the toughest of tests with flying colours.
"It feels really good," said Mrs Hewett, after receiving the award. "We work our backsides off for this place, we really do.
"Donna has just been away and she has still been responding to messages. I've been off celebrating my own things, and yet we are still here and still talking to the staff.
"It really is 24/7, it is our lives, so to actually be recognised for what we do is amazing."
- 1 Fears access road for new housing will be built on sacred land
- 2 Why this Dereham store is attracting athletes from across the UK
- 3 Troops parade through Dereham after being given freedom of the town
- 4 Norfolk festival cancelled amid 'challenging year'
- 5 Drink driver caught at three times legal limit on A1067
- 6 Biker taken to hospital after crash involving SUV
- 7 Man to pay out almost £400 after fishing in River Wensum in close season
- 8 Hinton sends farewell message to fans after leaving Magpies
- 9 Man dies after collapsing during dog walk in Norfolk village
- 10 Traffic easing on first day of Royal Norfolk Show after earlier delays
Mrs Nevill added: "It's incredible. We do work really hard and it has been a real slog at times.
"Over the years, there have been some really hard points and decisions to be made which have affected our own personal lives.
"Ultimately we are here for the families of the children we look after, not just to make money."
The pair also saluted their team of dedicated staff, many of whom have worked at Little Footsteps for several years.
"They are absolutely fantastic," said Mrs Hewett. "It's probably the best team we have ever had.
"Childcare isn't a job that pays millions, but they are committed and they really enjoy it."