The Times Awards 2021: Community Hero
- Credit: Brittany Woodman
The Community Hero in the Times Awards 2021 is Mark Donaldson of Dereham Town Youth Football Club.
Mr Donaldson is chairman of Dereham Town's youth set-up, and is responsible for looking after and coordinating the 12 teams from under-7s level up to under-16s.
He started coming to Aldiss Park when his son was attending Mini Kickers, and steadily became more involved with the club as the years went on.
Then, in June 2020, he became chairman - right in the thick of the pandemic.
Mr Donaldson has, therefore, had to navigate particularly troubled waters, but has been saluted for the terrific job he has done by parents, club colleagues and young footballers alike.
Collecting his award, he said: "I'm stunned and delighted to win. It's hard work doing this, but it's recognition for that.
"I don't know all the other nominees, but my wife actually nominated Ellie Farnworth! And she would have fully deserved it because she has done some amazing work in Beetley.
- 1 Fears access road for new housing will be built on sacred land
- 2 Why this Dereham store is attracting athletes from across the UK
- 3 Troops parade through Dereham after being given freedom of the town
- 4 Norfolk festival cancelled amid 'challenging year'
- 5 Drink driver caught at three times legal limit on A1067
- 6 Man to pay out almost £400 after fishing in River Wensum in close season
- 7 Hinton sends farewell message to fans after leaving Magpies
- 8 Man dies after collapsing during dog walk in Norfolk village
- 9 Traffic easing on first day of Royal Norfolk Show after earlier delays
- 10 Man charged in connection with burglary at Dereham home
"Ultimately my role is to make sure all the coaches, parents and players have a safe and happy environment to operate in.
"Getting through Covid has been hard work - a nightmare, to be honest. There has been so much stopping and starting.
"We've had to respond to all the guidance from the FA, complete risk registers, and cancel and rearrange fixtures, so it has been tough.
"The club is more than just me. There's a great team, and as a committee we work together to ensure things run smoothly."