The Times Awards 2021: Young Person of the Year
- Credit: Archant
The Young Person of the Year in the Times Awards 2021 is Holly Steward from Dereham.
Holly was a real inspiration in 2021, setting up the Dereham Community Litter Pick Group with her mum, Laura, in a bid to clean up her town.
The group has been a huge success story and now has around 100 members young and old, many of whom meet on a weekly or fortnightly basis.
Holly, 9, also undertook a challenge to complete 20 miles of litter picking by the end of the year, which she is set to complete on New Year's Eve.
Along the way she has raised an incredible £1,000 for Stand Up To Cancer. To donate, visit justgiving.com/fundraising/holly-litterpick.
Upon receiving her award, Holly said: "I feel happy, proud of myself and kind of shocked because I am just one child in the whole year.
"It's really important to clear up the local area, and it's really fun too."
Her dad, Justin Steward, added: "Holly is an absolute inspiration and we are very proud of her.
- 1 Fears access road for new housing will be built on sacred land
- 2 Why this Dereham store is attracting athletes from across the UK
- 3 Troops parade through Dereham after being given freedom of the town
- 4 Norfolk festival cancelled amid 'challenging year'
- 5 Drink driver caught at three times legal limit on A1067
- 6 Man to pay out almost £400 after fishing in River Wensum in close season
- 7 Hinton sends farewell message to fans after leaving Magpies
- 8 Biker taken to hospital after crash involving SUV
- 9 Man dies after collapsing during dog walk in Norfolk village
- 10 Traffic easing on first day of Royal Norfolk Show after earlier delays
"Not only does she do local litter picking but, even when we go on holiday, she - and all of us - are litter picking the beaches.
"I could not be more proud."