Toftwood faces traffic upheaval
Residents in Toftwood are facing five weeks of upheaval as new gas mains are installed.Gas pipeline company National Grid started work on Monday to upgrade 80 metres of gas mains in Shipdham Road (A1075), an important link road between busy residential areas and the main Dereham to Watton and Thetford road, schools and a social club.
Residents in Toftwood are facing five weeks of upheaval as new gas mains are installed.
Gas pipeline company National Grid started work on Monday to upgrade 80 metres of gas mains in Shipdham Road (A1075), an important link road between busy residential areas and the main Dereham to Watton and Thetford road, schools and a social club.
But the work, from the junction with Hillcrest Avenue to Stone Road, will see existing iron mains replaced with modern, durable plastic pipes that have a lifespan of at least 80 years.
Temporary traffic lights are in use at each of the junctions as work is carried out, beginning with a new mains laid from the junction of Hillcrest Avenue to Toftwood Social Centre followed by the mains replaced in the junction of School Lane and Shipdham Road, new pipes laid from the junction with School Lane to Stone Road and finally the iron main will be decommissioned at the junction of Hillcrest Avenue and Shipdham Road.
The work will be undertaken by Morrison Utility Services and is part of a national mains renewal programme developed by National Grid in conjunction with the Health & Safety Executive and industry regulator Ofgem..
Construction engineer David Jewson said: 'We apologise for any inconvenience caused by our works. This is essential work that will ensure that local people continue to enjoy safe and reliable gas supplies for many years to come.
- 1 A47 reopens after it was closed for six hours due to crash
- 2 'You've got to diversify' - cafe and gallery owner braves expansion
- 3 A trip to the fair helps Norfolk man remember
- 4 Village pub reopens for the first time in four years
- 5 A47 clears following long delays after four-vehicle crash
- 6 Serious road crash hotspots in Norfolk revealed as fatalities fall
- 7 Where you can see the Red Arrows over Norfolk today
- 8 Man seriously injured in A47 crash after police pursuit
- 9 Queen's Jubilee: All the events happening in the Dereham area
- 10 Lane of A47 remains shut after serious crash yesterday afternoon
'Temporary traffic lights will be necessary while the works are underway, however every effort will be made to minimise disruption to local people and motorists.'