Filipino group honoured for services to community
- Credit: Archant
A group which celebrates the culture of the Philippines and promotes healthy living has been honoured for its outstanding community work.
Pinas (Pinoy in Norwich Aksiong Samahang), which was set up in 2005, won an 'outstanding community service' award at the UK Filipino Leaders Awards in Birmingham.
Tess Ward, a former Pinas president, said she was delighted with the award, which "made all Filipinos in Norwich proud".
She said: "The recognition serves as an inspiration to us all who served voluntarily and motivate us more to carry on to achieve something worthy for the good of the Filipinos here in Norwich community and Norfolk."
Renato Lucero, who co-chairs Norfolk's annual Barrio Fiesta Filipino Festival of Culture, also won a special 'mentor of the year' award. Mr Lucero, who lives in Norwich, is also part of the European Network of Filipino Diaspora group.
The awards were hosted by the Ladies Of All Nations International (Loani).
- 1 Drivers slammed for parking outside centre for people with disabilities
- 2 Former military man elected as Dereham's new mayor
- 3 Magpies moved to Midlands league for 2022/23 season
- 4 Organisers hail success of first ever Dereham Day
- 5 More details revealed ahead of Dereham's Jubilee celebrations
- 6 Weather warning as thunderstorms set to hit Norfolk
- 7 Beer from Lidl and vegan chocolates among items recalled over safety fears
- 8 Person banned from driving arrested after crashing into pedestrian crossing
- 9 Mum killed in A47 collision was ‘walking to Norwich’, inquest hears
- 10 Readers reveal top 10 fish and chips - but the battle is on for top spot