Filipino group honoured for services to community
- Credit: Archant
A group which celebrates the culture of the Philippines and promotes healthy living has been honoured for its outstanding community work.
Pinas (Pinoy in Norwich Aksiong Samahang), which was set up in 2005, won an 'outstanding community service' award at the UK Filipino Leaders Awards in Birmingham.
Tess Ward, a former Pinas president, said she was delighted with the award, which "made all Filipinos in Norwich proud".
She said: "The recognition serves as an inspiration to us all who served voluntarily and motivate us more to carry on to achieve something worthy for the good of the Filipinos here in Norwich community and Norfolk."
Renato Lucero, who co-chairs Norfolk's annual Barrio Fiesta Filipino Festival of Culture, also won a special 'mentor of the year' award. Mr Lucero, who lives in Norwich, is also part of the European Network of Filipino Diaspora group.
You may also want to watch:
The awards were hosted by the Ladies Of All Nations International (Loani).
- 1 Town centre gets 'spring clean' ahead of high street re-opening
- 2 Gym owner set to open fourth site in Norfolk on April 12
- 3 Which Dereham pubs are reopening outdoors in April?
- 4 Thieves stole roof tiles and threw them away nearby
- 5 Rare chance to visit famous walled gardens for only second time ever
- 6 Farmhouse set in 9.4 acres of unspoilt Norfolk countryside is for sale
- 7 Pubs and shops to open on Monday: what else can I do when restrictions are eased?
- 8 Robert Fleck among those to pay tribute to Norwich man with 'heart of gold'
- 9 'Ready to go' - Department store raring to reopen after 109-day wait
- 10 Amazing support to help owners pay vet bills after stray cat hit by car