Town urged to show its support for Dereham 5km race
- Credit: IAN BURT
Organisers of an annual event which sees hundreds of runners weave their way through Dereham's town centre are hoping more crowds than ever will come out and support this year's spectacle.
The fourth edition of the Dereham 5km Town Race will be held on Sunday, July 20 at 9.15am.
Hosted by Dereham Runners, the two lap course benefits from closed roads and snakes through the heart of Dereham, finishing at the recreation ground.
Billed as a flat and fast course, it is set to attract some of the county's best road runners - but runners of all abilities who can complete the 3.1-mile distance in under 40 minutes are being urged to enter.
There is also a 1km children's fun run and it is hoped as many people as possible will come out and cheer on the 300 runners.
You may also want to watch:
Race director Todd Lake, who is also the club chairman at Dereham Runners, said: 'There's nothing better than more local people taking part and more local people supporting, clapping and cheering.'
He added: 'It's quite a unique event with the closed roads through the town centre, that's quite rare, so we want to build up the crowds watching and to make it a spectacle.'
- 1 Plans for wild animals on 100-home development
- 2 Updated information following serious assault in Dereham
- 3 'People didn't know I existed' - Shopkeeper thrilled with new store
- 4 Man denies attacking brother with wheel brace
- 5 From lockdown hobby to high street shop - New Fakenham crafts store opens
- 6 'Heartbroken' - Shock after village play area ‘trashed’ by graffiti vandals
- 7 Pub reopens with brand new wine boutique
- 8 Your Say - What should replace Dereham's Prezzo?
- 9 Scams in Norfolk this week: Hermes texts and electricity boxes
- 10 'Exciting and adventurous' - How aboutDereham works for our community
The event, which is organised in partnership with Breckland Council, will see participants set off from London Road and head along Station Road, Matsell Way, Neatherd Road and Cowper Road before taking in Norwich Street, Ruthen Place, Red Lion Street and High Street. They will then complete a second lap before finishing at the recreation ground.
Entry costs £6.50 for club runners or £8.50. Unsold places will be available on the day for £10.
All finishers will receive a race medal and there will be prizes for the top men and women and age group winners.
To enter, go to www.derehamrunners.co.uk.