Tribute to man found dead in Dereham
Tribute has been paid to a “lovely” young man who was found dead at a Norfolk beauty spot earlier this week. He was Peter Meijer, a university student from Dereham.
Tribute has been paid to a “lovely” young man who was found dead at a Norfolk beauty spot earlier this week.
Peter Meijer, a university student from Dereham, had been due to start is second year of study at Reading University this Autumn.
Police had found the 20-year-old's body at Neatherd Moor early on Tuesday morning.
They have said they are treating the death as unexplained but not suspicious and that there was not an ongoing police inquiry in relation to it.
This morning a statement was released on behalf of his family by the police.
It said: “Peter Meijer was a student at Reading University and had completed his first year studying Ancient History and Politics. He was due to return to University in October. Prior to this Peter went to Neatherd High School and Dereham Sixth Form College, where he went to South Africa with the school astronomy club as an ambassador for science.”
- 1 Man injured teen with catapult after supermarket row
- 2 Four vehicles, including lorry, involved in 'serious crash' on A1067
- 3 Volunteer exodus puts future of beloved windmill under threat
- 4 Huge solar farm proposed near Roman site
- 5 Schools in Norfolk face classroom closures due to coronavirus
- 6 Town centre set to welcome vegan street food truck
- 7 What the average UK house price can buy you in Norfolk's towns
- 8 Decision over funding for Queen Mother's Garden revamp delayed
- 9 Father accused of baby murder blamed car seat for bruise
- 10 Revealed: The 20 areas of Norfolk 'regularly at risk of flooding'
A tribute was paid to Mr Meijer by sixth form director David Richardson.
He said: "He was a lovely boy when he was here and we were all incredibly shocked when we heard. We have very fond memories of him and he was the kind of lad that if you wanted anything he would do it."
Peter did A-levels at sixth form during his two years there and then had a year out before going to university, he said. And added students who knew Peter were being offered support.
An inquest into his death was opened and adjourned this morning. It was said he had been found hanging from a tree.
He was born in London but lived at Richmond Close, Honingham, near Dereham, the inquest heard.
The spot where he was found is close to the high school and sixth form in Dereham. It is a popular spot with dog walkers and has a children's play area and pond.