Tribute to man found dead in Dereham
Tribute has been paid to a “lovely” young man who was found dead at a Norfolk beauty spot earlier this week. He was Peter Meijer, a university student from Dereham.
Tribute has been paid to a “lovely” young man who was found dead at a Norfolk beauty spot earlier this week.
Peter Meijer, a university student from Dereham, had been due to start is second year of study at Reading University this Autumn.
Police had found the 20-year-old's body at Neatherd Moor early on Tuesday morning.
They have said they are treating the death as unexplained but not suspicious and that there was not an ongoing police inquiry in relation to it.
You may also want to watch:
This morning a statement was released on behalf of his family by the police.
It said: “Peter Meijer was a student at Reading University and had completed his first year studying Ancient History and Politics. He was due to return to University in October. Prior to this Peter went to Neatherd High School and Dereham Sixth Form College, where he went to South Africa with the school astronomy club as an ambassador for science.”
- 1 Century-long agreement over Dereham green space to end
- 2 IN PICTURES: Flying Scotsman in all its glory on the Mid Norfolk Railway
- 3 Husband donates £1m to cancer research so 'no one else goes through same pain'
- 4 How to see the Flying Scotsman in Norfolk this October
- 5 Coffee morning raises more than £2,000 for charity
- 6 Former army officer resigns as councillor for 'personal reasons'
- 7 'Bring it on' - New chief executive appointed to district council
- 8 Students and staff come together for celebration of high school's history
- 9 Woman left 'penniless' while waiting five weeks for first pension payment
- 10 Amazing drone footage shows Flying Scotsman travelling through Norfolk
A tribute was paid to Mr Meijer by sixth form director David Richardson.
He said: "He was a lovely boy when he was here and we were all incredibly shocked when we heard. We have very fond memories of him and he was the kind of lad that if you wanted anything he would do it."
Peter did A-levels at sixth form during his two years there and then had a year out before going to university, he said. And added students who knew Peter were being offered support.
An inquest into his death was opened and adjourned this morning. It was said he had been found hanging from a tree.
He was born in London but lived at Richmond Close, Honingham, near Dereham, the inquest heard.
The spot where he was found is close to the high school and sixth form in Dereham. It is a popular spot with dog walkers and has a children's play area and pond.