Turbines save money for Etling Green businessman
Mid-Norfolk landscape contractor Tony Canham reckons he has saved just over �300 in eight weeks after installing two wind turbines at his smallholding.
Mr Canham, 46, who runs his business from his Etling Green home just outside Dereham, had two generators put in a yard behind his house, and the turbines were put up in a day on his three-acre plot.
He said: 'These days, every small business has to look at ways of reducing their expenditure. We use a lot of electricity in the yard to power cutting tools, kindling machinery and sawing equipment and I wanted to look at ways of reducing electricity costs as well as cutting our carbon footprint.'
The 15m-high wind turbines came from Windcrop, based at Honingham Thorpe, and will be maintained by the company for 20 years.
They provide Mr Canham with 100pc renewable electricity free of charge, and he will not need to pay maintenance costs.
You may also want to watch:
'I expected it to be quite complicated but it was completely stress-free,' Mr Canham said. 'We thought that they'd be noisy, but I can honestly say that we've only noticed them in really gusty weather, and now we're used to seeing them we don't pay any attention to them. The good news is that, after only eight weeks, we've saved �300 on our electricity bills and it's not even a windy time of year.'
John Moore, managing director of Windcrop, said: 'Although the main attraction of installing wind turbines is the cost savings in terms of reduced electricity purchased from their usual supplier. Many also agree the environmental benefits as just as important.'
- 1 Woman who died in A47 collision named
- 2 Tributes paid to talented Dereham golfer Richard Wilson
- 3 New gym set to open at town's business park
- 4 Delays on A47 due to collapsed manhole cover
- 5 Pedestrian dies after being hit by lorry on A47
- 6 New signs to 'put Dereham on the map' are unveiled
- 7 Major rush hour delays expected as crash involving lorry closes part of A47
- 8 Norfolk troops kill terrorists in Mali after coming under attack
- 9 Has Dereham started its Christmas shopping early?
- 10 Man charged with arson after blaze ripped through flat and gardens