Two schools get �800,000 to boost sport
Ian ClarkeTwo Norfolk schools are getting a total of �800,000 as part of a �21m government handout to boost sports facilities.The King Edward VII School at King's Lynn has been awarded �450,000 for an artificial turf pitch and Litcham High School, has got �350,000 towards its sports hall from the Youth Sport Trust.Ian Clarke
Two Norfolk schools are getting a total of �800,000 as part of a �21m government handout to boost sports facilities.
The King Edward VII School at King's Lynn has been awarded �450,000 for an artificial turf pitch and Litcham High School, has got �350,000 towards its sports hall from the Youth Sport Trust.
Schools' secretary Ed Balls announced that 75 sports colleges nationwide will share in the money and the aim is to ensure sports pitches can be used in the evening and through the winter with floodlights, artificial turf and new tented style sports halls.
'2008 will always be remembered as a fantastic year for sport. We all enjoyed the remarkable achievements by Team GB at the Olympic and Paralympic Games in Beijing,' said Mr Balls. 'But it was also a remarkable year for sports colleges, PE and school sport.
You may also want to watch:
'Once again sports colleges were the fastest improving specialist school network in terms of GCSE passes. Sports colleges are also leading the way, helping to increase the number of children and young people getting two hours of PE and sport every week - 250,000 more 5-16 year olds than this time last year.'
- 1 Pedestrian dies after being hit by lorry on A47
- 2 Major rush hour delays expected as crash involving lorry closes part of A47
- 3 Norfolk troops kill terrorists in Mali after coming under attack
- 4 Crash blocks road off A47 at Honingham
- 5 Woman who died in A47 collision named
- 6 Thousands of pounds given to surgery in Lorraine's memory
- 7 Man charged with arson after blaze ripped through flat and gardens
- 8 Van artist creates 'most emotional picture' over teen suicide
- 9 Trio launch new bell tent venture with a twist
- 10 Early hours blaze tears through flat and gardens