Vet takes on triple challenge
Kathryn CrossTaking part in one triathlon would be a challenge in itself for most people.But vet Chris Queen has decided to take on three triathlons in just three months to raise money for charity.Kathryn Cross
Taking part in one triathlon would be a challenge in itself for most people.
But vet Chris Queen has decided to take on three triathlons in just three months to raise money for charity.
Mr Queen, who grew up in Dereham and now works at a small animal practice in Wokingham, Berkshire, is training six days a week to get ready for one of the most physically demanding events in the sporting arena.
The former Neatherd High School pupil hopes to raise �3,000 for the Worldwide Veterinary Service (WVS) and will put himself through a 750 metre swim, 20 kilometre cycle and then a five kilometre run at each of the three events.
You may also want to watch:
'I signed up to the first race with a friend because we both did a bit of exercise and we thought it would be fun,' he said. 'Then when we started training we realised how tough it was going to be and thought it would be a really good thing to raise some money for charity. But I thought that completing one would not be enough so as there were three events in a triathlon I decided to do three in three months.'
Mr Queen, 27, has been training since Christmas and now hopes that rather than just complete the race he will be able to be competitive as well.
- 1 Early hours blaze tears through flat and gardens
- 2 Man in 80s from Norfolk found not guilty of historic sexual offences
- 3 Rescue centre saw demand for dogs jump 400pc during lockdown
- 4 The most popular baby names in Norfolk in 2020 are revealed
- 5 Two fires in two hours on mid-Norfolk road
- 6 Roof collapses into home after major blaze engulfs it
- 7 Century-long agreement over Dereham green space to end
- 8 Fire crews battling large house blaze
- 9 Met Office issues warning for thunderstorms in Norfolk
- 10 Revisit the industrial heritage in the heart of Norfolk
'I used to swim for Dereham Otters so my swimming has always been quite good but two of the swims are in lakes and the third one is in the sea which will be freezing. I am back up in Norfolk on the May bank holiday weekend so I might have to go and jump in the sea to give it a try.
'I had never done much cycling or running before. While the weather is good I am trying to get out on the bike and on the road as much as possible working on my technique.'
The first event is at Blenheim Palace in Oxfordshire on June 6, and then he will be at Scott Makani Eastnor Castle, Ledbury in Herefordshire on July 4 before completing the final event, the South Coast Triathlon, in Seaford, East Sussex on August 14.
Anyone interesting in sponsoring Mr Queen can donate online via the webpage www.justgiving.com/triathlonvet