Warning after bogus official called business
Businesses in the Breckland area are being warned to be wary of bogus callers after a Dereham company was phoned by somebody claiming to be from Breckland Council last Thursday.
BUSINESSES in the Breckland area are being warned to be wary of bogus callers after a Dereham company was phoned by somebody claiming to be from Breckland Council last Thursday.
The caller said they had called to arrange a business rate rebate and asked about the company's normal payment methods.
But the person taking the call became suspicious before any details were given and reported what happened to Breckland.
A spokesman for the district council said: 'It is not normal practise for council officers to call regarding this type of matter and if they did they would already have the customer's payment details to hand.
'Customers and members of the public are advised not to reveal payment or bank details over the phone unless they are absolutely sure the call is genuine.'
If you receive a call from someone claiming to be from Breckland Council and suspect that it may not be genuine call Breckland's customer contact team on 01362 656871.
- 1 Social club to host beer festival in memory of beloved former chairman
- 2 'Some haven't had a cut since Covid' - hairdresser on growing challenges
- 3 Village pub to finally reopen after being shut for four years
- 4 Dereham barbershop named as one of UK's top 20
- 5 Share of £120,000 cash pot on offer to Breckland groups
- 6 Norfolk war hero saluted at poignant service
- 7 Person banned from driving arrested after crashing into pedestrian crossing
- 8 Drivers slammed for parking outside centre for people with disabilities
- 9 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 10 Ex-military police officer elected as Dereham's new mayor