Warning after bogus official called business
Businesses in the Breckland area are being warned to be wary of bogus callers after a Dereham company was phoned by somebody claiming to be from Breckland Council last Thursday.
BUSINESSES in the Breckland area are being warned to be wary of bogus callers after a Dereham company was phoned by somebody claiming to be from Breckland Council last Thursday.
The caller said they had called to arrange a business rate rebate and asked about the company's normal payment methods.
But the person taking the call became suspicious before any details were given and reported what happened to Breckland.
A spokesman for the district council said: 'It is not normal practise for council officers to call regarding this type of matter and if they did they would already have the customer's payment details to hand.
You may also want to watch:
'Customers and members of the public are advised not to reveal payment or bank details over the phone unless they are absolutely sure the call is genuine.'
If you receive a call from someone claiming to be from Breckland Council and suspect that it may not be genuine call Breckland's customer contact team on 01362 656871.
- 1 Roof collapses into home after major blaze engulfs it
- 2 Fire crews battling large house blaze
- 3 Early hours blaze tears through flat and gardens
- 4 Man in 80s from Norfolk found not guilty of historic sexual offences
- 5 Rescue centre saw demand for dogs jump 400pc during lockdown
- 6 The most popular baby names in Norfolk in 2020 are revealed
- 7 Met Office issues warning for thunderstorms in Norfolk
- 8 Two fires in two hours on mid-Norfolk road
- 9 Farm enjoying another bumper year for pumpkin picking
- 10 Century-long agreement over Dereham green space to end