Warning after bogus official called business
Businesses in the Breckland area are being warned to be wary of bogus callers after a Dereham company was phoned by somebody claiming to be from Breckland Council last Thursday.
BUSINESSES in the Breckland area are being warned to be wary of bogus callers after a Dereham company was phoned by somebody claiming to be from Breckland Council last Thursday.
The caller said they had called to arrange a business rate rebate and asked about the company's normal payment methods.
But the person taking the call became suspicious before any details were given and reported what happened to Breckland.
A spokesman for the district council said: 'It is not normal practise for council officers to call regarding this type of matter and if they did they would already have the customer's payment details to hand.
You may also want to watch:
'Customers and members of the public are advised not to reveal payment or bank details over the phone unless they are absolutely sure the call is genuine.'
If you receive a call from someone claiming to be from Breckland Council and suspect that it may not be genuine call Breckland's customer contact team on 01362 656871.
- 1 Plans for wild animals on 100-home development
- 2 Updated information following serious assault in Dereham
- 3 'People didn't know I existed' - Shopkeeper thrilled with new store
- 4 Man denies attacking brother with wheel brace
- 5 From lockdown hobby to high street shop - New Fakenham crafts store opens
- 6 'Heartbroken' - Shock after village play area ‘trashed’ by graffiti vandals
- 7 Your Say - What should replace Dereham's Prezzo?
- 8 Pub reopens with brand new wine boutique
- 9 Scams in Norfolk this week: Hermes texts and electricity boxes
- 10 'Exciting and adventurous' - How aboutDereham works for our community