Warning over bogus callers
Council officials have repeated a warning to the public over bogus calls over business rates. Breckland Council asked business people to be on their guard after a customer reported a bogus call regarding business rates.
Council officials have repeated a warning to the public over bogus calls over business rates.
Breckland Council asked business people to be on their guard after a customer reported a bogus call regarding business rates.
Since then further reports have been made to the council.
In the first case the caller rang the customer and claimed they were ringing from the council to arrange a business rate rebate.
You may also want to watch:
They went on to inquire about the company's normal payment methods. The person taking the call became suspicious before any details were given and reported the call to Breckland.
A spokesman for the council said: 'It is not normal practise for Council officers to call regarding this type of matter and if they did they would already have the customers payment details to hand.
- 1 'I've lost my pension': Car collection destroyed by 'professional' vandal
- 2 A47 closed in both directions after crash
- 3 Covid rips through care homes again with deaths almost doubling in a week
- 4 Woman hurt as A47 crash leaves car in ditch
- 5 Armed police detain man after 18 hours of negotiations
- 6 Family's anger after woman, 82, faced being 'marooned' by floodwater
- 7 Former Hollywood Cinema boss becomes award-winning carer
- 8 'Full' foodbank gets new home as demand surges
- 9 Timeline: When should you receive the coronavirus vaccine?
- 10 Mass coronavirus vaccination centre opens in Norwich today
'Customers and members of the public are advised not to reveal payment or bank details over the phone unless they are absolutely sure the call is genuine.
'Anyone who receives a call from someone claiming to be from Breckland Council and suspect that it may not be genuine please do not give any personal or bank details, end the call and ring our customer contact team on 01362 656871.'