Warning over bogus callers
Council officials have repeated a warning to the public over bogus calls over business rates. Breckland Council asked business people to be on their guard after a customer reported a bogus call regarding business rates.
Council officials have repeated a warning to the public over bogus calls over business rates.
Breckland Council asked business people to be on their guard after a customer reported a bogus call regarding business rates.
Since then further reports have been made to the council.
In the first case the caller rang the customer and claimed they were ringing from the council to arrange a business rate rebate.
They went on to inquire about the company's normal payment methods. The person taking the call became suspicious before any details were given and reported the call to Breckland.
A spokesman for the council said: 'It is not normal practise for Council officers to call regarding this type of matter and if they did they would already have the customers payment details to hand.
- 1 Part of A47 closed in both directions after crash
- 2 'You've got to diversify' - cafe and gallery owner braves expansion
- 3 A trip to the fair helps Norfolk man remember
- 4 Village pub reopens for the first time in four years
- 5 A47 clears following long delays after four-vehicle crash
- 6 Serious road crash hotspots in Norfolk revealed as fatalities fall
- 7 Where you can see the Red Arrows over Norfolk this weekend
- 8 Man seriously injured in A47 crash after police pursuit
- 9 Queen's Jubilee: All the events happening in the Dereham area
- 10 Lane of A47 remains shut after serious crash yesterday afternoon
'Customers and members of the public are advised not to reveal payment or bank details over the phone unless they are absolutely sure the call is genuine.
'Anyone who receives a call from someone claiming to be from Breckland Council and suspect that it may not be genuine please do not give any personal or bank details, end the call and ring our customer contact team on 01362 656871.'