Warning over bogus callers
Council officials have repeated a warning to the public over bogus calls over business rates. Breckland Council asked business people to be on their guard after a customer reported a bogus call regarding business rates.
Council officials have repeated a warning to the public over bogus calls over business rates.
Breckland Council asked business people to be on their guard after a customer reported a bogus call regarding business rates.
Since then further reports have been made to the council.
In the first case the caller rang the customer and claimed they were ringing from the council to arrange a business rate rebate.
You may also want to watch:
They went on to inquire about the company's normal payment methods. The person taking the call became suspicious before any details were given and reported the call to Breckland.
A spokesman for the council said: 'It is not normal practise for Council officers to call regarding this type of matter and if they did they would already have the customers payment details to hand.
- 1 New gym set to open at town's business park
- 2 Norfolk troops kill terrorists in Mali after coming under attack
- 3 Tributes paid to talented Dereham golfer Richard Wilson
- 4 New signs to 'put Dereham on the map' are unveiled
- 5 Has Dereham started its Christmas shopping early?
- 6 Woman who died in A47 collision named
- 7 Delays on A47 due to collapsed manhole cover
- 8 Pedestrian dies after being hit by lorry on A47
- 9 Stunning new show at Houghton Hall set to immerse you into a meditative state
- 10 Rescue centre saw demand for dogs jump 400pc during lockdown
'Customers and members of the public are advised not to reveal payment or bank details over the phone unless they are absolutely sure the call is genuine.
'Anyone who receives a call from someone claiming to be from Breckland Council and suspect that it may not be genuine please do not give any personal or bank details, end the call and ring our customer contact team on 01362 656871.'