Norfolk family firm forced to close store in Dereham
- Credit: Adcocks
It opened under a blaze of publicity, but a branch of the family electricals firm Adcocks is closing in Dereham.
The firm, which started in 1912, has a much larger store in Watton, which has been expanded over the years and will continue as normal.
The Dereham store in Norwich Road opened in November 2016 at the former Bennett's Electricals shop, which had been a feature in the town for 60 years.
One member of staff will be made redundant and the second will work part-time at the Watton High Street store.
Director Paul Adcock said: 'At the time were approached to take the Dereham store on, the electricals market was quite buoyant. We saw it as an opportunity to expand, and thought it was worth a gamble.
You may also want to watch:
'It got off to a brilliant start. But as you have seen with some big names on the high street that have forced to look at the way they do things, the economic situation has changed.
'Unfortunately, the turnover at the Dereham shop has not met expectations.
- 1 Mum's heartfelt tribute to daughter who died in A47 collision
- 2 Farm worker fined after hay bales fall off trailer and hit car
- 3 Fire crews rush to a crash near Norfolk village
- 4 Dereham's plans for Remembrance services announced
- 5 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 6 Night out safety advice issued after drink-spiking reports in Norfolk
- 7 Pedestrian dies after being hit by lorry on A47
- 8 Tributes paid to talented Dereham golfer Richard Wilson
- 9 Major rush hour delays expected as crash involving lorry closes part of A47
- 10 Man charged with arson after blaze ripped through flat and gardens
'We are a Euronics dealer and prices have gone up generally since Brexit. Very reluctantly, we have decided to close it within the next few weeks.
'We don't regret taking it on - nothing ventured, nothing gained.'
All stock at the Dereham store will be transferred to Watton, about 10 miles away.
Mr Adcock added: 'We are writing to all customers about the closure. We plan to consolidate at the Watton store.'
He said it was too early to speculate on the future of the Norwich Road building.
Two years ago, Mr Adcock said it was a 'major step forward' for his family business to take on the Bennetts store, and also a way to thank Bennetts for its help when they were left in financial difficulties a few years before.
Philip Morter, of Bennetts Electricals in Dereham, announced at the time that the independent electricals shop would be closing due to a 'prohibitive' business rates increase.
anyone with questions about the closure should ring the Watton store on 01953 881248.