Norfolk family firm forced to close store in Dereham
- Credit: Adcocks
It opened under a blaze of publicity, but a branch of the family electricals firm Adcocks is closing in Dereham.
The firm, which started in 1912, has a much larger store in Watton, which has been expanded over the years and will continue as normal.
The Dereham store in Norwich Road opened in November 2016 at the former Bennett's Electricals shop, which had been a feature in the town for 60 years.
One member of staff will be made redundant and the second will work part-time at the Watton High Street store.
Director Paul Adcock said: 'At the time were approached to take the Dereham store on, the electricals market was quite buoyant. We saw it as an opportunity to expand, and thought it was worth a gamble.
'It got off to a brilliant start. But as you have seen with some big names on the high street that have forced to look at the way they do things, the economic situation has changed.
'Unfortunately, the turnover at the Dereham shop has not met expectations.
- 1 Village pub reopens for the first time in four years
- 2 Where you can see the Red Arrows over Norfolk this weekend
- 3 Serious road crash hotspots in Norfolk revealed as fatalities fall
- 4 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 5 Landmark nature project aims to rejuvenate river valley wildlife
- 6 Social club to host beer festival in memory of beloved former chairman
- 7 Stunning 'Lady of the Wood' carved statue revealed at park
- 8 Education bursary worth £1,000 launched to mark Queen's Jubilee
- 9 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 10 Queen's Jubilee: All the events happening in the Dereham area
'We are a Euronics dealer and prices have gone up generally since Brexit. Very reluctantly, we have decided to close it within the next few weeks.
'We don't regret taking it on - nothing ventured, nothing gained.'
All stock at the Dereham store will be transferred to Watton, about 10 miles away.
Mr Adcock added: 'We are writing to all customers about the closure. We plan to consolidate at the Watton store.'
He said it was too early to speculate on the future of the Norwich Road building.
Two years ago, Mr Adcock said it was a 'major step forward' for his family business to take on the Bennetts store, and also a way to thank Bennetts for its help when they were left in financial difficulties a few years before.
Philip Morter, of Bennetts Electricals in Dereham, announced at the time that the independent electricals shop would be closing due to a 'prohibitive' business rates increase.
anyone with questions about the closure should ring the Watton store on 01953 881248.