Workplace deaths revealled
Elaine MaslinTwelve people have died and about 1,200 incidents have been reported in workplaces in Breckland Council's area since 2003, it has been revealed.The council said it had dealt with more than 7,200 service requests and had undertaken in excess of 3,500 workplace inspections in the past seven years.Elaine Maslin
Twelve people have died and about 1,200 incidents have been reported in workplaces in Breckland Council's area since 2003, it has been revealed.
The council said it had dealt with more than 7,200 service requests and had undertaken in excess of 3,500 workplace inspections in the past seven years.
The figures were released as staff at the authority were marking the World Day for Safety and Health at Work on Wednesday, an event launched in 2003 by the International Labour Organisation.
A spokesman for Breckland said: 'The emotional costs of these incidents are huge and in the workplace these are coupled with other impacts such as lost worker time, sick pay, production delays, legal costs and damaged reputation - many of which are not always covered by business insurance policies.'
Breckland's officers offer free advisory visits for new businesses. They have also developed Safer Workplace - Better Business in partnership with North Norfolk Council, Great Yarmouth Borough Council and West Norfolk Council.
Risk assessment seminars have been run to help small businesses and new health and safety handbooks have been produced.
- 1 Village pub reopens for the first time in four years
- 2 Where you can see the Red Arrows over Norfolk this weekend
- 3 Serious road crash hotspots in Norfolk revealed as fatalities fall
- 4 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 5 Landmark nature project aims to rejuvenate river valley wildlife
- 6 Social club to host beer festival in memory of beloved former chairman
- 7 Education bursary worth £1,000 launched to mark Queen's Jubilee
- 8 Stunning 'Lady of the Wood' carved statue revealed at park
- 9 Queen's Jubilee: All the events happening in the Dereham area
- 10 A47 clears following long delays after four-vehicle crash