Workplace deaths revealled
Elaine MaslinTwelve people have died and about 1,200 incidents have been reported in workplaces in Breckland Council's area since 2003, it has been revealed.The council said it had dealt with more than 7,200 service requests and had undertaken in excess of 3,500 workplace inspections in the past seven years.Elaine Maslin
Twelve people have died and about 1,200 incidents have been reported in workplaces in Breckland Council's area since 2003, it has been revealed.
The council said it had dealt with more than 7,200 service requests and had undertaken in excess of 3,500 workplace inspections in the past seven years.
The figures were released as staff at the authority were marking the World Day for Safety and Health at Work on Wednesday, an event launched in 2003 by the International Labour Organisation.
A spokesman for Breckland said: 'The emotional costs of these incidents are huge and in the workplace these are coupled with other impacts such as lost worker time, sick pay, production delays, legal costs and damaged reputation - many of which are not always covered by business insurance policies.'
You may also want to watch:
Breckland's officers offer free advisory visits for new businesses. They have also developed Safer Workplace - Better Business in partnership with North Norfolk Council, Great Yarmouth Borough Council and West Norfolk Council.
Risk assessment seminars have been run to help small businesses and new health and safety handbooks have been produced.
- 1 Mum's heartfelt tribute to daughter who died in A47 collision
- 2 Fire crews rush to a crash near Norfolk village
- 3 Farm worker fined after hay bales fall off trailer and hit car
- 4 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 5 Dereham's plans for Remembrance services announced
- 6 Night out safety advice issued after drink-spiking reports in Norfolk
- 7 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 8 Woman who died in A47 collision named
- 9 Tributes paid to talented Dereham golfer Richard Wilson
- 10 Business owner feared heart scare would see dream shop opening dashed