Dereham Town reach Norfolk Senior Cup semi-finals with dramatic win at Wroxham

Dereham Town boss Neal Simmons Picture: Sonya Duncan

Dereham Town boss Neal Simmons Picture: Sonya Duncan - Credit: Sonya Duncan

Dereham booked their place in the semi-finals of the Norfolk Senior Cup with a dramatic win at Wroxham on Tuesday night.

The hosts were the better side on the night but Dereham kept their hopes alive with a 90th minutes equaliser from Jake Anema and went on to seal victory with a penalty shoot-out just three minutes away.

In the sixth minute Jamie Forshaw tried to catch George MacCrae off his line from distance but his effort sailed just wide before Forshaw's fierce 25 yarder forced the home keeper into a fine full length save.

Wroxham's Shaun Taylor forced Nathan Fitch into a fine double save after finding space inside the box and Pete Wiltshire came close for the home side with low 30 yard drive that Fitch did well to turn round the post.

After the restart Floris Burgers had to make a vital tackle to deny Adam Smith from pouncing close to goal before substitute Marcus Wilkinson made an immediate impact by stabbing the ball home from close range to put his side in front in the 61st minute. Wiltshire then headed wide as the home pressure continued.

The visitors continued to struggle to make an impact but in added time Danny Beaumont struck the home bar with a curling free-kick before Anema netted from close range to force extra-time. Payton Swatman soon put Wroxham back in front with an excellent free-kick from the edge of the box but as play switched ends Ryan Crisp immediately levelled following a corner. Swatman then struck the post again from another free-kick.

In the second half of added time Logan was upended in the box but the referee waved played on. With three minutes remaining Jamie Forshaw netted to steal the tie.

Most Read

Dereham: N Fitch, M Castellan, J Anema, D Hinton, R Linford, F Burgers (H Exley 83), R Logan, S Borrer, A Jarvis (R Crisp 57), J Forshaw, D Beaumont. Att: 196

Dereham must now switch their focus back to their promotion bid in Bostik League North, with two home matches coming up in the space of four days.

On Saturday they play host to a mid-table Heybridge Swifts side who are playing catch-up with their league fixtures following lengthy runs in both the FA Cup and the FA Trophy.

They are then back at Aldiss Park on Tuesday evening for another tough fixture, with third placed Canvey Island providing the opposition.