Yaxham School gets outdoor classroom
Games consoles are out and growing fruit and vegetables is in for one school which opened an outdoor classroom at the weekend.Herb beds, planting areas and covered decking for lessons, are just some of the new additions at Yaxham Primary School.
Games consoles are out and growing fruit and vegetables is in for one school which opened an outdoor classroom at the weekend.
Herb beds, planting areas and covered decking for lessons, are just some of the new additions at Yaxham Primary School.
The idea behind the outdoor classroom is for teachers to be able to take pupils outside as much as possible and encourage them to spend more time exploring nature.
Foundation stage teacher Clare Barlow said: “It's fantastic. To children coming outside makes a real difference to their day.
“The contrast of environments helps their learning. Some of the pupils that struggle to concentrate indoors come on leaps and bounds when brought outside. It's learning without realising it.
“While ICT has its place, we can bring the laptops out here so they have the best of both worlds. I'm so enthusiastic about this project because it really enhances childrens' learning.”
- 1 Fears access road for new housing will be built on sacred land
- 2 Why this Dereham store is attracting athletes from across the UK
- 3 Troops parade through Dereham after being given freedom of the town
- 4 Drink driver caught at three times legal limit on A1067
- 5 Norfolk festival cancelled amid 'challenging year'
- 6 Biker taken to hospital after crash involving SUV
- 7 Man to pay out almost £400 after fishing in River Wensum in close season
- 8 Hinton sends farewell message to fans after leaving Magpies
- 9 Man dies after collapsing during dog walk in Norfolk village
- 10 Man charged in connection with burglary at Dereham home
And already class one are growing potatoes, tomatoes and cucumbers for a competition. The project took two years to complete and was funded by Diocesan Board, capital funding, and Friends of Yaxham Primary School.