Yazmin cooks up a treat to win Masterchef prize
Kathryn CrossA mouthwatering meal of pan fried sea bass with pea puree followed by pork and almond stuffed chicken helped a Swanton Morley teenager to the title of Breckland's Junior Masterchef.Kathryn Cross
A mouthwatering meal of pan fried sea bass with pea puree followed by pork and almond stuffed chicken helped a Swanton Morley teenager to the title of Breckland's Junior Masterchef.
Yazmin Godfrey put together the two-course meal using a box of supplied local produce and saw off stiff competition from three other young chefs to wow the judges at the competition at Dereham's Neatherd High School on Thursday.
The event, organised by the Pride in Breckland team, was judged by Breckland councillor Theresa Hewett, Tina Pemberton, head chef at Brovey Lair restaurant in Ovington, Stuart Green from the Breckland Youth Council, Gareth Woodward from Dereham Safer Neighbourhood team and Gaynor Bosomworth, food tech teacher from Neatherd High School.
Bradley Pearce from Scarning, Peter Murrell from Dereham and James Watson from North Elmham were the runners-up.
Mrs Pemberton said; 'I have been very impressed by what the pupils have cooked, the ones that haven't used a recipe have been more creative and it's great to see them just getting on with it. It's all in the taste in the end.'
Yazmin, 15, impressed with her creativity and presentation. She said; 'I felt I struggled a bit with the timing issue but pulled myself together. I cook a lot at home for my parents.'
- 1 Mum killed in A47 collision was ‘walking to Norwich’, inquest hears
- 2 'It's scary' - foodbank volunteers lift lid on cost of living crisis
- 3 More details revealed ahead of Dereham's Jubilee celebrations
- 4 Neighbours' tribute to crash victim who 'thought the world of her dogs'
- 5 Locked-up play area to be refurbished after public outcry
- 6 Crowds turn out to celebrate first ever Dereham Day
- 7 Drug dealing mother-of-five had ‘cocaine stuffed in bra’
- 8 Annual service to be held in memory of Norfolk war hero
- 9 How the proposed energy price cap changes could affect your bills
- 10 7 food and drink themed trains you can ride in Norfolk this summer
Yazmin's prize includes a personal one-to-one cookery lesson with Mrs Pemberton at Brovey Lair where she will also cook for three guests of her choice.