Your Say - What are Dereham's favourite shops?
- Credit: Noah Vickers
Despite the pressures hitting Britain's high streets, Dereham still enjoys a good range of shops. This week, reporter Noah Vickers hit the streets to ask locals about their favourite shops in the town.
Jim Stebbings, 79, who is retired and lives in Dereham said: "The thing I admire about Dereham is that I can get most of the things that I need - from a washing machine, to washing up liquid. I'm going to go and get some glass cut this morning. So there's not much you can't get in Dereham - the shopping I think is very good."
Carole McCleary, 72, who is retired and also lives in the town said: "I like the fruit stall we have at the market. All their fruit and veg is so fresh."
Louise Rowe, 37, a secondary school teacher who lives in Toftwood said: "The patisserie [stall at the market] is definitely our favourite, we love that one - the cheesecake they have there is especially good. In terms of actual shops, Boots is probably the one I use the most."
Conal O'Donnell, 70, who is retired and lives in Dereham said: "I really like the hardware shop. I do feel loyalty to our independent shops - they may cost a little bit more but so what? And you are, hopefully, supporting your high street environment, so I'm very happy to do that."
You may also want to watch:
Sheena Chambers, 73, who lives in Dereham and works at the golf club, said: "Peacocks is my favourite - it's the only decent clothes shop in the town."
Jean Everhard, 78, who works in banking and lives in Toftwood said: "We've got a lovely big shopping centre and I use them all."
She highlighted the town's charity shops in particular: "I've just taken some stuff to Venture Farm Animal Trust, and the RSPCA charity shop is also good."
- 1 Location revealed for new major music festival with '90s flavour'
- 2 Delays on the A47 after crash
- 3 Gym set to host fundraiser for brave youngster Logan
- 4 Delays on A47 after crash involving lorry
- 5 Mid Norfolk MP George Freeman returns to government
- 6 Hairdresser in contention for prestigious industry award
- 7 Battle of Britain service taking place in Dereham
- 8 The ones to watch at this year's Norfolk Open Studios
- 9 Family tribute to 'much loved' Norfolk woman killed in A47 crash
- 10 Fakenham's annual riverside day set to finally go ahead