A Norfolk angler has set a new world record at the International Casting Sports Federation Championships staged in Poland.Colin Howlett from Pightle Way, Lyng, won his gold medal in the 18gram multiplier event with a cast of 118.
A Norfolk angler has set a new world record at the International Casting Sports Federation Championships staged in Poland.
Colin Howlett from Pightle Way, Lyng, won his gold medal in the 18gram multiplier event with a cast of 118.27 metres.
That distance was ruled out as a world best because of a brisk following wind, but his previous best 116.32m in a qualifying round was accepted as a new record, beating runner-up Peter Thaine of Blythe, who completed a splendid one-two for the UK Surf Casting Federation squad with a throw of 111.08m.
The 57-year-old production director with building firm is treasurer of the UKSF while his wife Ann is secretary. He has only been involved in plug casting for four years, but in that time he and his colleagues have fine-tuned the technique to the point where the England squad is now well in advance of the other 17 countries competing.
“I believe I was one of the oldest competitors out there, but our new approach to plug casting and the resulting superior technique paid off in the multiplier event,” he said.
But the question remains: is Colin Howlett really an angler? “I caught 10 bream between 8lb and 11lb 3oz just before the casting championships while visiting a private water, for a trial on what is expected to become a commercial fishery next spring. I think that qualifies me as both a field sport and a rod and line sportsman,” he said.
- 1 Norfolk man amongst UK's 12 most wanted
- 2 Travelodge looking at nine sites for new hotels across Norfolk
- 3 Father accused of baby daughter's murder gave her squash, court told
- 4 Waffle and milkshake delivery business opens in Dereham
- 5 Father accused of baby girl's murder 'had short fuse and made things up'
- 6 Pub near Dereham has its first winners of steak-eating challenge
- 7 Prince's Trust on the hunt for recruits to join new Dereham team
- 8 Railway launches appeal to restore signal box
- 9 Father accused of baby girl's murder had a 'short temper'
- 10 Man taken to hospital after crash involving car and tractor