Anglian Combination football round-up

Wells Town suffer defeat, Mattishall lose ground in title race

Acle United 8, Wells Town 1

A mixture of clinical finishing and a loss of discipline was the downfall of the Seasiders at Bridewell Lane on Saturday in the Anglian Combination Premier Division.

Wells found themselves a goal down after only 10 minutes following a corner and some slack marking allowing a free header. However, the visitors battled well and were unfortunate not to equalise on the stroke of half-time with a good effort ruled offside.

Straight from the restart, Wells had another clear-cut chance to equalise but failed to convert. Almost immediately at the other end Acle increased their advantage with a quick break, and within minutes the home side added a third.

Wells then lost discipline and shape, allowing Acle to score at every opportunity. The visitors had two players sent off and the depleted Seasiders had no answer to the firepower of the home side.

Josh Barzey scored a late consolation for Wells, but they remain at the bottom of the table, a point behind Wymondham, who also lost heavily on Saturday.

Most Read

Wells face Acle in the return fixture this Saturday (2pm kick-off).

Mattishall 2, Beccles Town 2

Mattishall slipped further behind Anglian Combination Premier Division leaders Cromer after being held to a 2-2 draw at home by Beccles Town.

Debutant Nathan Howard gave Mattishall the lead after just 24 seconds, but Beccles equalised midway through the first half when Alan Remblance lobbed the keeper.

A strong start to the second half saw Howard restore Mattishall's lead, before Remblance scored again to earn the visitors a point and push Mattishall down to third in the table.

Bradenham Wanderers 1, Horsford Utd 2

After their fine run in the Norfolk Senior Cup, Bradenham came back down to earth with a shabby performance at home against Horsford in Anglian Combination Division One.

The visitors started the game brightly and could have been several goals up but for an inspirational performance by Cruickshank in the home goal. In the third minute he made a good catch from a left wing cross, then on nine minutes he saved a close range shot, and on 14 minutes made another fine save from a Horsford shot to keep his side on level terms.

Horsford certainly dominated the early stages but eventually the hosts fought their way back into the game. Their first real chance was headed over after 22 minutes and for the rest of the half neither side could really string a decent move together as the first period remained goalless.

The start of the second half again saw Horsford on top, and on 48 minutes Cruickshank made another fine save when he finger-tipped a goal-bound shot round his left hand post. It came as something of a surprise when Bradenham took the lead on 66 minutes with King neatly heading home from a left wing corner. A Forder effort was then easily saved.

The home side's lead was short-lived, however, when on 68 minutes a floating Horsford cross from the left flew over defenders and keeper alike to land in the far corner of the net.

The goal, while rather fortuitous, was a deserved reward for the visitors' domination.

On the 80 minute mark Horsford scored a fine winning goal when a right wing cross was headed like a rocket from the edge of the box and into the net.

Horsford went home happy, but the home side will certainly have to perform much better than this if they are to hold on to their mid-table position in Division One.

Holt United 1, Hindringham 2

Hindringham bounced back from their poor performance against Caister to record a derby victory over Holt in Anglian Combination Division One on Saturday.

The Hindringham management made changes and reverted back to a 4-3-3 formation, with Liam Forge making his senior debut up front and West returning to the midfield.

Hindringham started at a fast rate, got the ball down and played great passing football. The midfield three of Saunders, West and Coslett controlled the early exchanges and put pressure on the Holt back four, not giving them time on the ball. Hindringham were rewarded from a Bulley corner, Sizeland rising highest to send a bullet header into the net.

Hindringham continued to press and had chances to extend their lead. Marsh's running up front was causing Holt problems and this allowed Betts to have time on the ball and pick his passes. With 10 minutes of the half remaining, Holt started to come in the game and pressed Hindringham back, and they scored in the last minute of the half.

This did not affect Hindringham's approach to the game and they started the second half strongly, counter-attacking with pace.

Hindringham lost skipper Coslett to injury and he was replaced by Belton, whose range of passing put the visitors in control.

Hudson was producing some excellent surging forward runs and it was from one of these that he played the ball into Betts, who beat his man and crossed for Marsh to side foot home and give Hindringham a deserved lead.

Hindringham then withstood Holt's long ball game, defended well and still caused Holt problems going forward with the pace of Bulley and Marsh. Hindringham held out for a great derby victory.

Hindringham must now take this performance into this week's game at home to Stalham (kick-off 2pm).

Hindringham Res 1, Wells Res 2

Wells Reserves travelled the short distance to Wells Road and returned home with all the spoils following this Anglian Combination Division Five derby.

Both goals came from headers following corners as Baldry was on target twice.

Wells Reserves have no fixture this weekend.

Foulsham Res 4, Yelverton 3

Foulsham Reserves hosted high flying Yelverton in an Anglian Combination Division Six match on Saturday and, against a team that had lost only one league match all season, took the honours 4-3.

In arguably their best performance of the season, and twice coming from behind, goals by Richie Young, Craig Hagon, Luke Smith and Matty Barwell (penalty), sealed the victory for Foulsham.