Anglian Combination round-up

Mattishall defeated, Bradenham draw, double joy for Foulsham

Wymondham Tn 3, Mattishall 2

MATTISHALL'S fading title challenge suffered a new setback when they were beaten by struggling Wymondham in the Anglian Combination Premier Division on Saturday.

The defeat stretched Mattishall's winless run to four games and saw them remain third, four points behind leaders Cromer having played two games more. Cromer did not play on Saturday as their scheduled match at North Walsham was postponed due to the weather.

James McCloy, Calum Webb and Jonathan Phipps handed Wymondham just their third league win of the season, with Christian Harbour and Connor Delaney on target for Mattishall.

This Saturday, Mattishall face a crucial match when they host Cromer (2pm).

Most Read

Wells Town 1, Acle United 5

A mixture of clinical finishing and the loss of discipline was the downfall of the Seasiders at Beach Road on Saturday for the second consecutive match.

Wells found themselves a goal down after 30 minutes following a penalty kick as the match official adjudged a foul had taken place. This incident led to two Wells players being sent off as tempers became frayed.

Straight from the restart the visitors added a second. Wells remained in the hunt at this point as Daniel Grocott calmly slotted home for his first goal after returning from injury.

However, the visitors added three further goals as they completed a swift and emphatic double, having beaten Wells 8-1 the previous weekend.

Wells host Wroxham Reserves on Saturday (2pm).

Bradenham Wanderers 1, Hellesdon 1

Bradenham picked up a crucial point in their fight against relegation from Anglian Combination Division One against high-flying Hellesdon at Hale Road on Saturday.

The home side took the lead after just 10 minutes when Vann headed home from a Woodcock corner.

The next threatening move came on 23 minutes when Forder shot wide after a good move on the right. Just two minutes later another corner on the right was headed wide by Melton. On 31 minutes Bush went on a long run, then shot straight at the keeper. Bush then floated a free-kick wide of the left hand post, and the same player shot straight at the keeper when put clear just before half-time.

The hosts' failure to convert more of their first half chances meant Hellesdon were still well in the game. Within two minutes of the restart a Hellesdon forward was clean through on goal, only to be thwarted by a fine smothering save by home keeper Butters.

Bradenham still created chances, with Bush shooting wide again before Cross set up Forder, who shot over. The home defence were generally soaking up any pressure created by the Hellesdon forwards, with Dagg having a particularly fine game at right back, but on 76 minutes alarm bells started to ring when a visiting forward headed just wide.

On 78 minutes Cross set up Bush, who again shot over, but three minutes later Hellesdon equalised from a left wing cross. They came close to getting a winner when Butters finger-tipped a point blank shot over the bar.

The good news for Bradenham is that they are creating a considerable number of chances. The bad news is that they are having real problems converting them.

Brian Mason

Attleborough Tn 0, Foulsham 1

Foulsham finally rediscovered some form against morning leaders Attleborough Town in Anglian Combination Division Two.

In a keenly contested first half, Foulsham had an early chance after good work by Simon Prior who played Ben Darby in, only for him to fluff his shot.

Chances were at a premium and a 0-0 half time scoreline was about right.

The second half saw Foulsham continue to play well, with full-backs Karl Wiseman and Aaron Dougal having good games.

Dayne Mayes was strong in midfield and wingers Hagon and Craig Knowles worked hard to support lone striker Prior. Foulsham looked dangerous going forward but it was Attleborough who could have taken the lead when a deflected cross hit Danny Robb, forcing Tom Harvey in goal into a fine reflex save.

Foulsham then had a chance at the other end when a Craig Hagon run saw him round the keeper but an acute angle meant he couldn't finish.

With the game seemingly heading for a draw, Darby played Knowles in behind the defence and he calmly slotted past the oncoming keeper to put Foulsham 1-0 up with only 10 minutes to play.

Attleborough pressed hard for the equaliser but Foulsham held firm for a fine win.

Martham Res 2, Foulsham Res 5

Foulsham Reserves followed last week's win with another very good performance at Martham Reserves in Anglian Combination Division Six.

In an attacking display of football, defenders Ash Brown and Lewis Tillbrook both got their first goals of the season. Brown's came from a free-kick on the edge of the area which gave the keeper no chance, and Tillbrook's was a powerful header. Matty Barwell kept up his recent form with a well placed shot and keeper turned poacher Sean Knowles got a nice tap-in.

Goal of the game however, saw Lee Murton score a brilliant solo effort. Straight from the kick-off after conceding a goal, Murton received the ball on the wing, danced past four players, cut inside the last defender and rounded the keeper to score.