Bad day for ‘awful’ Magpies

Dereham Town 0, Woodbridge 4

Dereham manager Matt Henman admitted his side had 'let the club down' after a dismal defeat on Saturday.

The Magpies, who had Jay Eastoe-Smith sent off in the second half, were outplayed by the visitors and the result allowed Wroxham to overtake them at the top following their 7-0 mauling of Great Yarmouth on Tuesday night.

'Everyone involved let the club down with our performance,' said Henman. 'We didn't work hard enough and we didn't show enough commitment and desire for the majority of the game. No excuses, we were awful.'

Henman's side return to league action this Saturday with a trip to seventh-placed Stanway Rovers and the manager is keen to put last weekend's result behind them: 'We had a good training session on Tuesday night and cleared the air a bit. The lads had their say and by the end the mood was very positive.'

The Magpies will be without Eastoe-Smith and Nicky Howells through suspension on Saturday, but they are boosted by the return of Lewis Butcher, Andrew Cusack and Nathan Howard. Henman has also completed the signing of attacking player Scott Woodgate from Gorleston, who returns for a second spell with Dereham.

The Magpies started slowly on Saturday and keeper Shaun Marshall Dereham made a great save to keep out Mark Roper's fierce shot following Berry's corner. However, the visitors took the lead when Trevivian found space on the left before passing to Paul Berry who cut inside and hit a right foot shot that was deflected into the net in the 25th minute.

Most Read

Woodbridge doubled their lead ten minutes later when Aaron Churchyard moved across the static home defence to guide home Seaman's cross from the right.

Dereham came close in the 40th minute when Sills made a superb save to deny Kyle Downes after good work from Scott Roberts.

Just before half-time Woodbridge were awarded a penalty that Roper converted to give his side a commanding interval lead.

Dereham brought on Billy Smith and Olly Willis after the break, but Woodbridge added a fourth goal to when Churchyard netted his second with a well-struck effort.

Things got worse for the Magpies in the 57th minute when Eastoe-Smith was sent off for two yellow cards received in quick succession.