Battelley on song again in final season
Ian Battelley again proved how hard he will be to replace as he played a key role with the bat and ball in Dereham A's winning draw against Thetford A.
The 67-year-old – who is in his last season with the club before moving away from Norfolk – top scored with 74 as Dereham A posted 191-7 in their 46 overs.
Battelley batted for 40 overs before he was stumped off a wide. He was supported by Jack West who continued his good form with 36.
All rounder John Fox hit a quick fire 20 not out at the end of the innings including a huge six off the last ball. Rob Mabee also contributed an important 18.
Thetford A bowled pretty tightly through the innings on a slow pitch and Keith Greyson got the best figures of 4-35.
In reply Fox and Andrew Guida opened the attack and managed to get some pace off the track.
Guida struck the two first blows and after Mabee bowled Gavin Siriwadena, Dereham A looked as if they could get through the Thetford batting quickly.
- 1 Part of A47 closed in both directions after crash
- 2 'You've got to diversify' - cafe and gallery owner braves expansion
- 3 A trip to the fair helps Norfolk man remember
- 4 Village pub reopens for the first time in four years
- 5 A47 clears following long delays after four-vehicle crash
- 6 Serious road crash hotspots in Norfolk revealed as fatalities fall
- 7 Where you can see the Red Arrows over Norfolk this weekend
- 8 Man seriously injured in A47 crash after police pursuit
- 9 Queen's Jubilee: All the events happening in the Dereham area
- 10 Lane of A47 remains shut after serious crash yesterday afternoon
Pat Sparkes (74 not out), however, had other ideas as he batted excellently to save a losing draw for Thetford A, who ended up on 148-8.
Fox (2-35), Guida (2-29), Battelley (2-24) and Mabee (2-33) shared the wickets and Tom Clarke (0-21) again bowled well and was unlucky not to get any scalps.
Dereham A fielded with great enthusiasm and captain Ian Clarke said: 'We did all we could and it was a really good game of cricket. Well done to the lads for such a spirited performance and fair play to Thetford for hanging on for a draw.'
The winning draw secured another 17 points for Dereham A, who are now fifth in the table but face a tough trip to leaders Mattishall A on Saturday.
Dereham A: I Battelley st P Terry b Greyson 74, P Taylor c-b Kerling 6, Jack West c Wood b Greyson 36, M Henman lbw James 1, John West st P Terry b Greyson 0, R Mabee b Greyson 18, J Fox not out 20, J Harbour b James 8, A Guida not out 2, extras 24. Total (7 wkts) 191. Bowling: M Kerling 12-2-23-1, G Siriwardena 8-0-20-0, P Sparkes 7-0-25-0, G James 11-0-64-2, K Greyson 9-1-35-4.
Thetford A: K Greyson c Jack West b Guida 19, S Terry b Battelley 10, T Wood b Guida 0, G Siriwardena b Mabee 16, P Sparkes not out 74, S Lewis c I Clarke b Mabee 2, P Terry lbw Fox 4, G O'Neill b Battelley 0, M Kerling b Fox 0, G James not out 0, extras 19. Total (8 wkts) 148. Bowling: J Fox 11-0-35-2, A Guida 12-2-29-2, T Clarke 6-1-21-0, I Battelley 12-1-24-2, R Mabee 6-0-33-2.