Battling Dereham ladies hold leaders
Harleston Magpies II 0, Dereham Ladies 0
On their home turf, Magpies were looking for an easy win against Dereham considering their victory in the reverse fixture, but the visitors were not going to give up easily.
After a few disappointing results – despite playing well – Dereham were looking to get back to winning ways but knew that this game against the leaders was going to require all of their strength.
Both teams started on form in the bitterly cold conditions.
Magpies started to test Dereham's defence by trying to force the ball through from the wings with some hard hits but the defence was strong and cleared the ball from danger. A few consecutive short corners were rewarded to Magpies towards the end of the half but Dereham's defence remained solid, denying Magpies a goal before half-time.
In the second half the high tempo was maintained, short corners were awarded to both teams but neither could convert them into a goal. The concluding 0-0 score reflected the solid fight both teams gave.
- 1 Man dies after collapsing during dog walk in Norfolk village
- 2 Young people transform care home's garden in just four days
- 3 A47 reopens after serious crash near Swaffham
- 4 Long-delayed wedding finally takes place... in 1941
- 5 Final details revealed ahead of Queen's Dragoon Guards freedom parade
- 6 Road closures to be put in place for Queen's Dragoon Guards parade
- 7 'Proper farming' sees dairy family crowned Norfolk farm champions
- 8 Man charged in connection with burglary at Dereham home
- 9 Why has my car been covered in dust?
- 10 Man caught with cannabis after armed police called to Dereham park
Dereham Ladies II 3, Pelicans 0
The game (originally abandoned due to heavy hail) started in a cold snow flurry which luckily did not settle on the pitch.
Both teams took a while to warm up and after about 10 minutes Dereham started to show their strength and speed, pushing the Pelicans back into their defending half for most of the first period.
After a couple of close short corner shots, the first goal eventually came from Fran Grapes, who fired the ball in from the right hand side of the D.
Dereham thought they were in for another goal when they were awarded a penalty flick, however Grapes was denied a second goal by a quick-thinking Pelis keeper.
In the second half Dereham knew they had to keep pushing hard to get more goals. The second came from Helen Kiddle Morris who showed great willpower in the D, fancy stick skills and strength as the ball eventually flew over the line after some tough defending from Pelis.
The third goal came from a great cross into the D from Lulu Humberston, a strike from Helen was deflected and fell to the left of the goal where Hannah Dewing slotted it behind the keeper.
n Dereham Girls Development side beat Norwich City 3-2 with goals from Catherine Longe (2) and Grace Symington.