Battling Dereham ladies hold leaders
Harleston Magpies II 0, Dereham Ladies 0
On their home turf, Magpies were looking for an easy win against Dereham considering their victory in the reverse fixture, but the visitors were not going to give up easily.
After a few disappointing results – despite playing well – Dereham were looking to get back to winning ways but knew that this game against the leaders was going to require all of their strength.
Both teams started on form in the bitterly cold conditions.
Magpies started to test Dereham's defence by trying to force the ball through from the wings with some hard hits but the defence was strong and cleared the ball from danger. A few consecutive short corners were rewarded to Magpies towards the end of the half but Dereham's defence remained solid, denying Magpies a goal before half-time.
You may also want to watch:
In the second half the high tempo was maintained, short corners were awarded to both teams but neither could convert them into a goal. The concluding 0-0 score reflected the solid fight both teams gave.
- 1 Century-long agreement over Dereham green space to end
- 2 Fire crews battling large house blaze
- 3 Roof collapses into home after major blaze engulfs it
- 4 IN PICTURES: Flying Scotsman in all its glory on the Mid Norfolk Railway
- 5 How to see the Flying Scotsman in Norfolk this October
- 6 Woman left 'penniless' while waiting five weeks for first pension payment
- 7 Stunning footage shows Flying Scotsman arriving at Mid Norfolk Railway
- 8 Bone found on beach by Callum, 9, may have been from a woolly rhino
- 9 Two new dates announced after Flying Scotsman's Norfolk visit sells out
- 10 Care home reaches final of disability and autism awards
Dereham Ladies II 3, Pelicans 0
The game (originally abandoned due to heavy hail) started in a cold snow flurry which luckily did not settle on the pitch.
Both teams took a while to warm up and after about 10 minutes Dereham started to show their strength and speed, pushing the Pelicans back into their defending half for most of the first period.
After a couple of close short corner shots, the first goal eventually came from Fran Grapes, who fired the ball in from the right hand side of the D.
Dereham thought they were in for another goal when they were awarded a penalty flick, however Grapes was denied a second goal by a quick-thinking Pelis keeper.
In the second half Dereham knew they had to keep pushing hard to get more goals. The second came from Helen Kiddle Morris who showed great willpower in the D, fancy stick skills and strength as the ball eventually flew over the line after some tough defending from Pelis.
The third goal came from a great cross into the D from Lulu Humberston, a strike from Helen was deflected and fell to the left of the goal where Hannah Dewing slotted it behind the keeper.
n Dereham Girls Development side beat Norwich City 3-2 with goals from Catherine Longe (2) and Grace Symington.