Beetley start well
BEETLEY opened their league cricket campaign with an eight-wicket victory.
Castle Acre batted first and were reduced to 12-3, Michael Calvert taking a wicket in his first over and then an over-the-shoulder caught and bowled.
This was sandwiched by David Hoare's opening wicket as he bowled N Cross (9).
B Kendle and M Edwards (8) steadied the innings, despite tight bowling by Tony Wright and Stuart Mcerleane, with a partnership of 46, before the latter was run out attempting a suicidal second run.
The impressive Kendle (26) was bowled by Hoare, and Calvert then trapped D Cross lbw for six.
Keith Daykin caught skipper M Elliott in the deep as David Hoare (6-14) wrapped up the innings by taking the last four wickets for two runs.
Chasing 67, Beetley started briskly before Gary Hinchliffe (13) was bowled by B Champion (2-11). He followed this up by bowling Fred Grice (1) with the score on 20.
- 1 A47 reopens after serious crash near Swaffham
- 2 Man dies after collapsing during dog walk in Norfolk village
- 3 Young people transform care home's garden in just four days
- 4 'Proper farming' sees dairy family crowned Norfolk farm champions
- 5 Man charged in connection with burglary at Dereham home
- 6 Why has my car been covered in dust?
- 7 Final details revealed ahead of Queen's Dragoon Guards freedom parade
- 8 Customers travelling especially to visit charming new café at fishery
- 9 'Being a mum is all she wants' - Fund launched for 26-year-old's IVF dream
- 10 Car driven by Elvis going on display at Armed Forces Day celebration
Nick Calvert (16no) joined Keith Daykin (23no) and they took Beetley to victory without further incident.
Beetley (19pts) beat Castle Acre A (2) by eight wickets.
Castle Acre A: M Edwards run out 8, B Champion b Calvert 0, N Cross b Hoare 9, J Moriarty c-b Calvert 0, B Kendle b Hoare 26, D Cross b Calvert 6, M Elliott c Daykin b Hoare 2, C Bear b Hoare 0, T Brown not out 0, R Molyneux b Hoare 0, J Chilvers b Hoare 0; extras 15. Total 66.
Bowling: D Hoare 10-6-14-6, M Calvert 9-6-19-3, T Wright 6-2-14-0, S Mcerleane 6-1-12-0.
Beetley: K Daykin not out 23, G Hinchliffe b Champion 13, F Grice b Champion 1, N Calvert not out 16; extras 14. Total (2 wkts) 67.
Bowling: B Champion 5-1-11-2, J Chilvers 3-0-18-0, C Bear 2-1-9-0, T Brown 3-0-9-0, M Elliott 2.2-0-13-0.