Beetley start well
BEETLEY opened their league cricket campaign with an eight-wicket victory.
Castle Acre batted first and were reduced to 12-3, Michael Calvert taking a wicket in his first over and then an over-the-shoulder caught and bowled.
This was sandwiched by David Hoare's opening wicket as he bowled N Cross (9).
B Kendle and M Edwards (8) steadied the innings, despite tight bowling by Tony Wright and Stuart Mcerleane, with a partnership of 46, before the latter was run out attempting a suicidal second run.
The impressive Kendle (26) was bowled by Hoare, and Calvert then trapped D Cross lbw for six.
You may also want to watch:
Keith Daykin caught skipper M Elliott in the deep as David Hoare (6-14) wrapped up the innings by taking the last four wickets for two runs.
Chasing 67, Beetley started briskly before Gary Hinchliffe (13) was bowled by B Champion (2-11). He followed this up by bowling Fred Grice (1) with the score on 20.
- 1 Century-long agreement over Dereham green space to end
- 2 Fire crews battling large house blaze
- 3 Roof collapses into home after major blaze engulfs it
- 4 IN PICTURES: Flying Scotsman in all its glory on the Mid Norfolk Railway
- 5 How to see the Flying Scotsman in Norfolk this October
- 6 Woman left 'penniless' while waiting five weeks for first pension payment
- 7 Stunning footage shows Flying Scotsman arriving at Mid Norfolk Railway
- 8 Bone found on beach by Callum, 9, may have been from a woolly rhino
- 9 Two new dates announced after Flying Scotsman's Norfolk visit sells out
- 10 Care home reaches final of disability and autism awards
Nick Calvert (16no) joined Keith Daykin (23no) and they took Beetley to victory without further incident.
Beetley (19pts) beat Castle Acre A (2) by eight wickets.
Castle Acre A: M Edwards run out 8, B Champion b Calvert 0, N Cross b Hoare 9, J Moriarty c-b Calvert 0, B Kendle b Hoare 26, D Cross b Calvert 6, M Elliott c Daykin b Hoare 2, C Bear b Hoare 0, T Brown not out 0, R Molyneux b Hoare 0, J Chilvers b Hoare 0; extras 15. Total 66.
Bowling: D Hoare 10-6-14-6, M Calvert 9-6-19-3, T Wright 6-2-14-0, S Mcerleane 6-1-12-0.
Beetley: K Daykin not out 23, G Hinchliffe b Champion 13, F Grice b Champion 1, N Calvert not out 16; extras 14. Total (2 wkts) 67.
Bowling: B Champion 5-1-11-2, J Chilvers 3-0-18-0, C Bear 2-1-9-0, T Brown 3-0-9-0, M Elliott 2.2-0-13-0.