Best-ever finish for Mattishall FC
Mattishall Football Club finished the season a creditable third in the Anglian Combination Premier Division, the best position in the club's history.
Manager Gavin Tipple was very happy with his team's performance throughout the season. But for a bad run in mid-campaign, they could have pushed for a better position, putting preasure on champions Cromer Town for the Sterry Cup crown.
Mattishall Reserves, having experianced a very good start, ended up in mid-table in the Anglian Combination Division Four.
Manager Gary Harbour thanked all his players who were available all season. He stated that other players need to show more committment all season to show that they are willing to help the team to a possible promotion to Division Three.
Mattishall A, in their first season in Division Four of the Crown Fire League, had a very good run.
However, with very strong clubs in the league with teams good enough for a higher level, their hopes of gaining promotion to Division Three were denied.
Joint managers Eddy Dalton and Aidy Hewitt were very pleased with the attitude of the young players, with some being drafted into the Reserves as and when they were needed.
- 1 Drivers slammed for parking outside centre for people with disabilities
- 2 Former military man elected as Dereham's new mayor
- 3 Magpies moved to Midlands league for 2022/23 season
- 4 Organisers hail success of first ever Dereham Day
- 5 More details revealed ahead of Dereham's Jubilee celebrations
- 6 Person banned from driving arrested after crashing into pedestrian crossing
- 7 Century-old farm machinery firm invests £6m in its factory's future
- 8 Weather warning as thunderstorms set to hit Norfolk
- 9 Beer from Lidl and vegan chocolates among items recalled over safety fears
- 10 Readers reveal top 10 fish and chips - but the battle is on for top spot
Mattishall held their end of season presentation at Dereham Golf Club. After a very good meal with a good bar, players recieved their awards.
First team player of the year: Ben Lewis; manager's player of the year: Michael Somerfield; reserve team player of the year: Phil Gagon; A team player of the year: Joe Gaston; manager's player of the year: Sam Perkins; young player of the year: Keiron Dalton.
The annual meeting was held last week with the full committee being voted in for another year with new members being added to the mix.
Friendly matches have been penciled in for the club with Dereham Town visiting South Green on July 22, a visit to Diss Town on August 2, Great Yarmouth Town at home on August 5 and a visit to Bungay Town on August 9. All dates to be confirmed.
The club is all too happy to encourage new players to join them with a very high standard of football available.
Please contact the new secretary, Eddie Dalton, on 07510554586.